Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the haggle of QT sending me a returned top, which they immediately corrected, and then having to wait another 5 days for Bestop to send me a new frame rail, I finally got the trektop nx installed. After install we got some rain and low and behold it is leaking around the rear frame rails. It looks like it is running between the seal and fabric and going down behind the vertical part of the rear frame rails and then following the contours around and pooling at the base. Has anybody else had this issue and how did you resolve it??? It is only leaking in those spots. The front is solid and doesn't even have a dribble. I've contacted Bestop and sent some pictures. I have to call them again tomorrow with my ticket number. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from somewhere in Missouri

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
In picture 2 and 4 I can see that at the top of the window, right where the velcro flaps over, there is a rubber gasket sewn to the soft top material. I believe you need to pull that rubber gasket upward to smooth it out and so it can make a better seal. I could be totally wrong, but when I install mine I pull it upward and straight and get no leaks, Yours looks puckered.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In picture 2 and 4 I can see that at the top of the window, right where the velcro flaps over, there is a rubber gasket sewn to the soft top material. I believe you need to pull that rubber gasket upward to smooth it out and so it can make a better seal. I could be totally wrong, but when I install mine I pull it upward and straight and get no leaks, Yours looks puckered.
Thanks for the extra set of eyes on that! I totally missed that and will work with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Same top and same issues, but Bestop forgot to put the rubber gasket on the first 5 window panels i received. What I ended up doing is pulling the flap up as high as you can and run the wire/cable that runs along the entire top over the flap to hold it against the frame and actually seal.

I am in the process of trying to find a better option to 'pull in' the flap, maybe have a length of webbing sewn onto the top of the flap and then fasten it to the rollbar???

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same top and same issues, but Bestop forgot to put the rubber gasket on the first 5 window panels i received. What I ended up doing is pulling the flap up as high as you can and run the wire/cable that runs along the entire top over the flap to hold it against the frame and actually seal.

I am in the process of trying to find a better option to 'pull in' the flap, maybe have a length of webbing sewn onto the top of the flap and then fasten it to the rollbar???
I completely took mine off last Friday and checked all of the seals. Like @brandofamily stated about my pics, the seals weren't laying exactly smooth and straight. I straightened them out and now have what I think is water blowing up under the flaps. We had a pretty good clip of rain here yesterday so i drove it around for awhile and got home with just a few drops coming in from around the tension spring area. If you come up with a fix, let me know about it! I'm going to work on mine more Wednesday.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I completely took mine off last Friday and checked all of the seals. Like @brandofamily stated about my pics, the seals weren't laying exactly smooth and straight. I straightened them out and now have what I think is water blowing up under the flaps. We had a pretty good clip of rain here yesterday so i drove it around for awhile and got home with just a few drops coming in from around the tension spring area. If you come up with a fix, let me know about it! I'm going to work on mine more Wednesday.

Do you think it is blowing up into the flap or leaking from the thread line above the window attachment area? My first top panel of the softtop leaked above the windows through the thread line (seam), I could shine a flashlight through the holes. The replacement top panel they sent me, I sealed the thread line with seam sealer. I didn't even want to take the chance of it leaking again!

That is something else to look into.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think it is blowing up into the flap or leaking from the thread line above the window attachment area? My first top panel of the softtop leaked above the windows through the thread line (seam), I could shine a flashlight through the holes. The replacement top panel they sent me, I sealed the thread line with seam sealer. I didn't even want to take the chance of it leaking again!

What product did you use to seal the seam? That might be a possibility on mine. After yesterday and today, I was able to get the weather stripping to lay flat on the door surround after I realized there is a channel in the stripping that butts up against the surround allowing it to lay flat. I would like the flaps to fit a little tighter but I will see how it is now and then go from there.

·
Registered
260 Posts

What product did you use to seal the seam? That might be a possibility on mine. After yesterday and today, I was able to get the weather stripping to lay flat on the door surround after I realized there is a channel in the stripping that butts up against the surround allowing it to lay flat. I would like the flaps to fit a little tighter but I will see how it is now and then go from there.

I used this with a small brush
https://www.rei.com/product/603034/gear-aid-seam-grip-seam-sealer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts