Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reinstalled my Trektop for a second season. All parts were in good working order.

At speeds 55 and under all seemed great.

Once I got to 60 and above the rear window is flapping. It is secure and fully zipped. The side windows the same. Sun rider is closed. Middle bow tight.

Flap may be the wrong word. As it is not flapping at the bottom, but the middle of the window is flexing in and out and making a horrible flapping noise.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Are you running a rack or light bar?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are the cables that hook into the back of the top tight and underneath the hex bolt? Do you need to hook the springs in the next hole of the trio?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the cables that hook into the back of the top tight and underneath the hex bolt? Do you need to hook the springs in the next hole of the trio?

Very tight and underneath the bolt. It is in the first hook as it is very tight, I had to work to latch the header.

Last year this top worked great. Now, not so much. The back window was compressing in and out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reinstalled everything. Moved spring to last hole. Even upgraded the foam. Still the same issue. This sucks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I reinstalled everything. Moved spring to last hole. Even upgraded the foam. Still the same issue. This sucks.

Two door or four door? Do you have the rigid plastic inserts in the side widows, sometimes I take them out to roll up the windows.

·
Registered
472 Posts
4 door. Plastic inserts are in.
OK, that's odd, I have the 4dr. NX also, never had this issue. Double check that the back bow just above the rear window [the one that slides into the rear of the fabric top] is secured in the metal bracket that bolts to the roll bar. Do you have the arch bars or bows installed into the door surrounds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, that's odd, I have the 4dr. NX also, never had this issue. Double check that the back bow just above the rear window [the one that slides into the rear of the fabric top] is secured in the metal bracket that bolts to the roll bar. Do you have the arch bars or bows installed into the door surrounds.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Back Bow is secure. Arch bars are installed. Center bar is installed and tight to sound bar.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Back Bow is secure. Arch bars are installed. Center bar is installed and tight to sound bar.
Ahh ok, I really cant think of anything else unless you flipped the back bow around, it has an arch to it. Good luck, let us know when you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
On my two door the rear edge of the top flaps above the rear window due to the rear bow not being heavy enough to hold it down at highway speed. Try going to Home Depot and buy one of their pre-cut 4' pipes I believe it is with orange plastic screw on caps and put that in place of your rear bow. The ends of the pipe should just make contact with the rollbar. If it doesn't fix it take pipe back to HD. Cost was about $4-5.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On my two door the rear edge of the top flaps above the rear window due to the rear bow not being heavy enough to hold it down at highway speed. Try going to Home Depot and buy one of their pre-cut 4' pipes I believe it is with orange plastic screw on caps and put that in place of your rear bow. The ends of the pipe should just make contact with the rollbar. If it doesn't fix it take pipe back to HD. Cost was about $4-5.

This is the middle of the rear window flexing in and out. And making a flapping like noise.

It is like a wind or compression issue in the cab.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Windows up, or down? Any difference if you just crack open a window? Have you changed anything else on your Jeep? Just wondering if something is disrupting the air flow in your Jeep....

When you look at the back window does it appear loose at all?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Windows up, or down? Any difference if you just crack open a window? Have you changed anything else on your Jeep? Just wondering is something is disrupting the air flow in your Jeep....

When you look at the back window does it appear loose at all?

Windows up. No difference if I crack or open a window.

No mods to Jeep since last time I used the Trektop last fall.

Back window looks taut, until I get up to speed and then it is able to have significant movement.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would triple check the tailgate bar. you can install it upside down if not paying attention. This will cause the flapping.
I noticed this once in a parking lot on another Jeep, and waited around for the person to come out to help out a fellow Jeep owner. The gratitude she had was worth my time as she said she hated her top because of the flapping. Told her you will now love it as it is tight as a drum head.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would triple check the tailgate bar. you can install it upside down if not paying attention. This will cause the flapping.

I noticed this once in a parking lot on another Jeep, and waited around for the person to come out to help out a fellow Jeep owner. The gratitude she had was worth my time as she said she hated her top because of the flapping. Told her you will now love it as it is tight as a drum head.

Just went out and checked against the install instructions and video. It is on correct.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@[email protected] my frustration at my Trektop NX is at an all time high. In bikini mode it bangs and flaps against the arches at anything over 35mph. It will stop if someone barely holds down the back flap. And when all zipped up with windows the back window bangs and flaps at highway speeds, nothing can make this stop. At this point the top is basically unusable, not to mention the leaking into the drivers floorboard during our last rain.

I have sent pictures into customer service. I just need help and resolution.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is the rear aluminum bar in the sleeve of the top, and then IN the metal brackets that are bolted to your roll cage? Post a picture of this area for us.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
@[email protected] my frustration at my Trektop NX is at an all time high. In bikini mode it bangs and flaps against the arches at anything over 35mph. It will stop if someone barely holds down the back flap. And when all zipped up with windows the back window bangs and flaps at highway speeds, nothing can make this stop. At this point the top is basically unusable, not to mention the leaking into the drivers floorboard during our last rain.

I have sent pictures into customer service. I just need help and resolution.

Wow I've had none of these things. Bikini mode flaps sometimes at 60 or 70 mph. No way at 35. Windows in if you roll down the door windows then you create sort of a vacuum, the wind has no place to go. Leaking? My NX has actually stopped my A pillar leaks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts