Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I put together a little video today because I see a lot of comments and questions about the Trektop NX.

One of the main things I hear is people saying the Trektop isn't a good top if you like to go topless. While technically yes, it is harder to remove than the factory soft top, I have come up with a solution for "top down" driving. It's really simple and gives a complete top off feeling.

Then there is the issue of the Trektop being harder than the factory top to put the windows back in. Well I have a trick for that also.

Please check out my video and let me know what you guys think. It's my first ever video so take it easy on me. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVAXnYsQ-g

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually leave the windows at home. I check the weather frequently and use an app called Rain Alarm to alert me of incoming bad weather. I've still been caught once or twice without the windows when it's rained before. It's not really a big deal, everything dries out fine.

When I do take the windows with me I just lay them down in the back since I don't have a rear seat taking up a bunch of space. Throw a blanket over them if you want and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I put together a little video today because I see a lot of comments and questions about the Trektop NX.

One of the main things I hear is people saying the Trektop isn't a good top if you like to go topless. While technically yes, it is harder to remove than the factory soft top, I have come up with a solution for "top down" driving. It's really simple and gives a complete top off feeling.

Then there is the issue of the Trektop being harder than the factory top to put the windows back in. Well I have a trick for that also.

Please check out my video and let me know what you guys think. It's my first ever video so take it easy on me. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVAXnYsQ-g
Great video! I am anxious to try this out on my JKUWW, I think I should be able to roll up just like you did but with just more material AKA 4dr.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I usually leave the windows at home. I check the weather frequently and use an app called Rain Alarm to alert me of incoming bad weather. I've still been caught once or twice without the windows when it's rained before. It's not really a big deal, everything dries out fine.

When I do take the windows with me I just lay them down in the back since I don't have a rear seat taking up a bunch of space. Throw a blanket over them if you want and you'll be fine.
I put the windows in the Freedom hard top storage bag and hook over the rear seat then I can still use the cargo area and the freedom bag is lined with a protector separating them.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
The bummer is I can't try this for another 2-3 months because of the weather. Currently 1 degree out Brrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Haha I like how you just rip everything of quickly. Thanks for sharing, you and MNwilly pretty much sold me on this top in another thread.

I'm wondering if this will work with the 4dr too. Looks like the 2dr doesn't bolt to the roll bar like the 4dr.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great video! I am anxious to try this out on my JKUWW, I think I should be able to roll up just like you did but with just more material AKA 4dr.
I've been wanting to know if this method works on a JKU but I don't know anyone that has one...so please report back when you can!

Haha I like how you just rip everything of quickly. Thanks for sharing, you and MNwilly pretty much sold me on this top in another thread.
Yeah I can go from fully installed to topless mode in just a couple of minutes, as the video shows. I was working a little faster than I normally go but really, there's no need to baby it. Putting it back together takes a few minutes longer but its still not bad at all. No worse than the factory top except connecting the last side to the back window. Which I showed you the easy way to do that ;)

Glad you guys like the video!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Nice vid!

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is awesome! I love the top, but the straps in the back actually began to rip out of mine last year after only a few months of use. 4WP replaced the defective part, but my fear was it would happen again. This is a great way to prevent the stress on the straps and enjoy more sun. Great job, @Espo78. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's actually a somewhat common problem. It happened to mine also and Bestop sent me an entire new top portion. Which I haven't installed yet. I guess I'm saving it for when the current top gets worse. It's part of the reason I tried rolling it up. That and to eliminate the flapping when the windows are out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Haha I like how you just rip everything of quickly. Thanks for sharing, you and MNwilly pretty much sold me on this top in another thread. I'm wondering if this will work with the 4dr too. Looks like the 2dr doesn't bolt to the roll bar like the 4dr.
The Trektop NX on the 4 dr doesn't bolt to the roll bar but there are two straps that pull the top down and hook into the hole where the large freedom panel screws screw into the sound bar.

You also have a solid bar across the back with retainer clips where the rear window slides in, I could see where this bar would just roll up into the top in order to tuck under the sunrider like espo78 showed in video.

You also have a spring on each side to tuck in and roll up, the spring attaches to a bracket which is mounted on the roll bar.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts