Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the pro hasn't been officially released yet but any comments from those with factory soft tops on what you think the differences are. Aside from glass vs vinyl, any real reason to go with the new pro? Looks like the pro will leave a frame on the rear of the jeep when top is down versus a folded back soft top.

Opinions...and...go...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I like the factory soft top. Fast to come down and it's off most of the summer. Can care less about aesthetics during the winter. Baby pizza cutter wheels are on for the snow anyways.

If the trektop was easy off, easy on, I'd be a buyer.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Best part about the new Pro top for me is the lift gate rear window. That's the ONLY thing I don't like about my Premium OEM soft top. It's just too much of a pain in my :mooning: to get in and out when it's cold or raining.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The stock rear window zipper is such a pain to get started. I end up ducking under the rear window bar for loading and unloading. Super annoying. That's the biggest advantage the new top has in my mind. I would guess you would almost eliminate all flapping at high speed too.

I like how much visibility the stock soft top has. The hard top is not as nice. I wonder what the new tops rear visibility is like. The side windows are going to have less visibility, and less airflow on the new one than the stock windows removed. Maybe you can remove the full side panels though?

Seems like if you want to go topless this isn't the top for you. I think it only has the sunrider moonroof type of feature. Personally I think going topless is way overrated. Safari style riding with all the windows out is what I prefer. It keeps you dry for sudden rain, and more importantly it keeps you from frying at stop lights in the summer. I pulled my carpet and Bedlined my tub so I keep all the windows out most of the summer. With the trektop angled rear window mor rain I would think would get in.

Looks like the new top doesn't use a frame. You're going to loose a bit of room. Not a huge deal.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not sure if I will buy it, but it looks like it cites what I liked the last about my old soft top.

1 no bar to block rear access
2 windows will not scratch
3 little fear of Windows cracking in regular winter

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
UPS is scheduled to deliver my Trektop Pro on Tuesday. It will be installed next weekend and there will be photos, etc., on the forum shortly thereafter. I bet quite a few of these will be installed in the next week or two since they started shipping a few days ago. I ordered mine in mid-December from Northridge 4x4.

If you frequently go completely topless, it will be a bit more difficult to do so with this top...but easier than with the hard top. And you will have the rear frame in place unless you unbolt and remove it.

After I put a Sunrider top on my '03 Rubicon, I don't think I went completely topless again. However, I had no rear seat in it and do not have a rear seat in my JKUR either. I have yet to take the top all the way down, but I use the Sunrider just about every day. From the videos and photos I've seen, the Sunrider on the Trektop Pro is easier to open than on the OEM soft top. There is no annoying "w-fold." Just undo the latches and pivot the Sunrider back. It appears to uncover just the front seat area. I have seen photos that show some fabric folded back to uncover the back seat also...which would be a lot like the OEM top.

I ordered the Trektop Pro mainly because of the hatchback rear window...the lack of zippers...and glass rather than plastic windows. I have a large Tuffy Rear Security Enclosure and cannot access the top of it without unzipping the rear window or going in through one of the side doors. The hatchback window will make it infinitely easier to get to the Tuffy's top.

When I first saw the Trektop Pro, I wasn't sure I liked the side windows or the slanted back. But both have been growing on me. I like the idea of being able to merely slide a window to allow for some airflow out the back. And the slanted top seems to make the Unlimited look shorter and more correctly proportioned. In my opinion, the Trektop NX slants too much and the OEM top is too vertical. The slant of the Trektop Pro looks like a perfect compromise.

The fabric will not match my Bestop 2-piece soft doors, but that doesn't matter a whole lot to me. If Bestop does come out with 2-piece doors in the premium fabric, I will upgrade. All eight pieces of the soft doors fit in and on the Tuffy enclosure, with the front lowers going on top. It will be easier to put those on the Tuffy with the lift-gate window, though it really wasn't all that hard to put them through the rear side doors. I think there will still be room in the Tuffy for the glass side windows if I ever need to remove them. It looks like they remove easier than the zippered side windows.

For my needs and desires, the Trektop Pro is absolutely perfect. I've never liked hardtops. They look Hummerish and, when I've been inside them, I feel like I'm riding around in an igloo cooler. A hybrid top addresses the main shortcomings I see in the soft top.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Can't wait to see your review! :drool:

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
That frame looks awful. The stock premium soft top is the best option unless you need easier access to the back of the Jeep. I don't need it, but want top down as much as possible. I used to hate the look of soft tops, but the premium material makes the lines of the soft top acceptable. Wish it was frameless, but I don't want to run a full safari. To me that defeats the whole purpose of having the top off. I'm still interested in hearing reviews of the Trektop Pro.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm really thinking more and more about buying one of these too.

Like some of you, I wasn't a big fan of that extra frame the TrekTop Pro requires in back, but the more I look at the photos of it in Safari configuration, the more I think that's a very minor complaint at most. One of the reasons I like my hard top now is the fact it has a rear windshield wiper (not to mention a rear defroster), and the TrekTop Pro lets you keep both of those features - while still making it pretty easy to take the back window (and wiper assembly) out when you want.

When I think of all the other benefits like no messing with zippers and no plastic windows to get all scratched up and hazy/foggy over time, and the sunrider flip-back top that's easier to use than either the freedom panels in a hard top OR the one built into the premium soft top? I'm starting to question why I wouldn't just sell off my factory premium soft top to pay for most of what a TrekTop Pro would cost me.

Truth be told? I'd probably be happy using this top exclusively and getting rid of BOTH factory tops. The hard top at least adds a little more security and maybe a quieter ride ... but not too much else.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Taking the rear glass window looks like it will be way more difficult then a quick zipper. There is no perfect top.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm hoping the reviewers will explain the process and how hard it ACTUALLY is to do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm also interested in this top. The price tag has me wary, but if it's a good mix of what I do like about my hard top, and the conveniences I've only heard of in the soft top, I'll consider getting one, and sell off my hard top altogether.

Otherwise, I'm gonna keep an eye on Craigslist as OEM soft tops start going up for sale.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was visiting a friend in Longmont, CO this past weekend. Walked out of a grocery store and there in the parking lot was a JUK with a Trektop Pro installed. Bestop is near there, so was wondering if it was one of their Jeeps.

The top looked really nice in person. Fit looked excellent, very high quality stuff. I took a look at the back window, and it looks like two hinge pin nuts would need to be removed and the glass would come off. Couple minutes max.

Not sure if it's the right top for me, but that back glass is a real selling point. Having seen it in person now it's definitely on my list.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you want to remove your rear window on the trail, this is probably not the top for you. You would have the problem of finding a place to store it. I don't think I'd want that big piece of glass bouncing around in the back of the Jeep. However, it should remove very easily and quickly before heading out for the day.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you want to remove your rear window on the trail, this is probably not the top for you. You would have the problem of finding a place to store it. I don't think I'd want that big piece of glass bouncing around in the back of the Jeep. However, it should remove very easily and quickly before heading out for the day.
If you are camping nearby then removing the top would be much easier then taking off the hardtop in a campsite.

I don't drive the distance it takes to get to the nearest wild land with my soft top due to too much road noise with my non-premium soft top. I'm hoping this can be quiet enough for road trips, yet still removable with one person and no hoist.

The nearest trails to my home is about 1.5hrs each direction, but those are pretty crowded and not that interesting. It's more like 4-5 hours each direction for the really good trails.

·
Registered
368 Posts
bought only a factory hardtop

The first time I saw that fastback look on a jeep I loved it. Just placed my factory order for 15' Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock, and I am beginning the research for the right soft top. Some of the reviews I have read about the Bestop Trektop NX are a little discouraging and am looking forward to the review on the Trektop pro.
How much is it?
Waiting the 8 weeks for delivery, I am going to need your help to not go insane.
Looking forward to being part of the Jeep community.http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/pc-ouch.gif

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you are camping nearby then removing the top would be much easier then taking off the hardtop in a campsite.

I don't drive the distance it takes to get to the nearest wild land with my soft top due to too much road noise with my non-premium soft top. I'm hoping this can be quiet enough for road trips, yet still removable with one person and no hoist
I read a lot about noisy soft tops. Maybe I just got a good one. My non-premium soft top is very quiet, even at freeway speeds...absolutely no wind leaks or flapping.

The Trektop Pro arrived yesterday and is currently up in one of my sheds...waiting until I can find the time to install it. The instructions say 4 hours, but that doesn't include the time for removing the current soft top. I hope to install it Saturday.

Both boxes had been opened and then re-sealed with staples and clear packaging tape. Everything looks to be in order though. I do plan to make sure all the parts are there before I proceed with the install. I assume the guys at Northridge wanted to check it out before they shipped it since it may have been the first one they received. I'm not real happy about that, but as long as everything is there and in perfect shape, it's ok.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Moabite- I sent a copy of your post to my warehouse and this is the response I got.

We used the ups pad packs and some paper on the top part of the box it should be good to go. I was concerned about scratches as well. But more concerned about the glass breaking. The customer can rest assured we only open boxes to ensure the product arrives to them in the best possible condition.
No problem. I haven't yet taken the glass out of the box but I've inspected it and it appears to be in perfect shape. I've verified that all of the parts are there except for the small pieces that are in the sealed bag. I'm not sure if the extra packing materials helped, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Northridge is still my #1 Go To place for Jeep parts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts