Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sucks to lift my nearly 35" spare tire to put it on the spare tire mount. I can get it up there, but it weighs a ton and it is a struggle to hold it while I line up the studs with the bolt holes.

Anyone have a trick to getting it up there and onto the spare tire mount?

BTW, I've got a trick to getting the wheel onto the axle that works well. Sitting with my butt on the ground, I straddle the hub with the wheel between my legs. I can then lift the wheel in part with my arms and in part by closing my legs and support the wheel on my thighs while I line up the studs and bolt holes. It's pretty easy, other than you get dirty.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Gym membership ? :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
I only have 33s but still 87 awkward lbs. I use a plastic step that I put my foot on and then can balance the tire on my knee, beats trying to muscle it on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gym membership ? :)

Same issue and has nothing to do with the gym.

My tire weighs 101 lbs and I can easily lift it up to the mount yet I can't line up to stub mounts. Been scratching the crap out of my new wheels as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
my 35 is 95lbs.. I place the wheel directly in front of the carrier on the floor and align the bolt holes by eye and then squat and lift and slide them on in one motion.. and I only weigh 135lbs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gotta hitch?

Stick 18" of 2x4 into the hitch, lift the tire onto that, line up the lug holes by eye, then just lift it the last 6 inches to put it on. (will have to cut down the end of the 2x4 a bit)

If you don't get it the first time, you don't have to lift it from the floor again.

Leave the piece of 2x4 in the back to use as a jack base if you have to change a tire on the trail.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stick 18" of 2x4 into the hitch. . .
I'll try that or maybe stick my hitch in the receiver.

I currently lift from the ground to the spare mount, and try and hold the wheel up with my knee (while standing on one foot) as I fumble around getting the holes lined up. If I don't get the wheel on before I run out of breath, I have to set the wheel back down and lift from the ground again. With the hitch in place, maybe I could step on the ball for support.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
35s

I get the lug holes lined up while on the ground.

Heave it onto my ball hitch.

Get a better grasp.

Use legs to slowly lift it up and onto the mount.

·
Registered
353 Posts
35s i get the lug holes lined up while on the ground. Heave it onto my ball hitch. Get a better grasp. Use legs to slowly lift it up and onto the mount.
x2^

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Anyone have a trick to getting it up there and onto the spare tire mount?
The trick is to have a kid, preferably a male teenager, help.

After many years of feeding him and clothing him, he finally has a useful purpose.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The trick is to have a kid, preferably a male teenager, help.

After many years of feeding him and clothing him, he finally has a useful purpose.
I employ this theory with somewhat successful results....unless it's a Saturday morning and said teenager is still in bed.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I just start to bounce that spare tire until it reaches the proper height and quickly push it on the lugs... See ya on the Trail!!!
More like "see ya in the ER!" LOL

·
Registered
970 Posts
my 35 is 95lbs.. I place the wheel directly in front of the carrier on the floor and align the bolt holes by eye and then squat and lift and slide them on in one motion.. and I only weigh 135lbs.
^^^ this ^^^^

except lining it up before lifting....Being 6'4 235 and deadlifting 475, these tires are easy....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 33"s soon to go to 35"s. I've lifted the spare a couple of times but now I use my hardtop hoist and a rope sling.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts