Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we tossed the soft top on before leaving Indiana but it was so hot that we didn't do much top down driving. Was nearing 100 degrees at times and the water was ice COLD! Was still a great trip. Our daughter brought a friend this year so driving down to track some wild mustangs down was a must. We've been there 4 or 5 times now for vacation.. Staying in Duck.. And just love it. Stayed in Corolla one year and staying right on the beach highway was awesome but somewhat of a pain at times. Was kinda pricey for that one too but it was our awww F it vacation. This was our first year with the Jeep. Good times and if you've never been... Go!

On a side note.. I didn't air down this time. Did OK following previous paths but was a struggle creating new ones. A bit rough too. I did chuckle passing a new GMC that had to back up every 20 feet or so and take another stab at going forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Beautiful photos. I love driving out on NC coast. I've not yet been to where the horses are - but have read about and see many photos of them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Stayed up on Swan Beach and Corova many times and driven that beach and the back roads behind the dunes many times and not once aired down. Only ever got stuck when I tried to take an ill-equipped Honda Element out there just for fun...it literally sank like an anchor about 10 yards off pavement. Good times.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Awesome photo's! Photographing the wild horses has been on my list for a few years now.

Trying to plan a trip in Oct. and since I've never been how are the towns regarding restaurants etc. Our friends from CA will be going with us and we'd like some good seafood restaurants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many good times all along the OBX. Watching the horses up at the north end.... Gathering sharks teeth down on Topsail island.... I did always air down on the beach... Had great fun one time pulling out a big F250 or something that was stuck "like an anchor about 10 yards off pavement!"

·
Registered
595 Posts
Many good times all along the OBX. Watching the horses up at the north end.... Gathering sharks teeth down on Topsail island.... I did always air down on the beach... Had great fun one time pulling out a big F250 or something that was stuck "like an anchor about 10 yards off pavement!"
Sharks teeth, oh, that sounds cool too!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Awesome photo's! Photographing the wild horses has been on my list for a few years now.

Trying to plan a trip in Oct. and since I've never been how are the towns regarding restaurants etc. Our friends from CA will be going with us and we'd like some good seafood restaurants.
OBX is extremely laid back on the north end (above Nags Head). There are several good restaurants but if you're into nightlife and partying you might be out of luck.

Take that firecracker all the way up RT12 until the pavement ends and drive it up to the VA border (there's a fence there). It is a great way to spend a day, viewing the horses, dolphins, sharks, etc. and stopping to take a dip in the Atlantic Ocean every now and again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Was there a couple weeks ago and the water was very cold. Unfortunately I didn't get my Jeep until this past week so no beach driving this trip. Can't wait to get the Jeep there sometime though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We are heading down in November for Thanksgiving. Staying in Kitty Hawk. Will be our first time. I am surprised the water is so cold. Is that normal for July?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I typically go down in June and the water can be more or less invigorating depending on currents and ocean conditions. It's no different than Maryland in that respect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We were there the last week of June, before the fourth. In Corolla just a couple of miles before the end of the pavement. Took the doors and roof off as soon as we arrived, immediately after we unloaded all the "stuff". They didn't go back on until the night before we left. Did several trips up to the VA border. Aired down to 25. Wanted a little advantage but enough to drive those couple miles on pavement without having to air up. The Jeep got a lot of driving that week... it was the preferred car to take any time we needed to run to Harris Teeter, etc. I was asked for the keys regularly.

Temp wise... we were high 70s, low 80s all week. Really pleasant. Water is a bit chilly but you get used to it. We've gone at the end of the summer in the past and, at least to me, it wasn't that much warmer, at least not compared to the pool which gets so warm it's hardly "refreshing".

We'd get a dozen waves just running out to get more beer... The girls loved standing on the back seat when on the beach, hanging on to the cage, cruising along in the smooth stuff. If we had to get off the "hard pack" into the ruts, I made them sit down.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

There's a ton of restaurants in Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk .. About 30 minutes from duck. Duck is our favorite spot. The Sound on one side and the Atlantic on the other. Pretty much turn left and go a block to hit the sound or turn right and go a block to hit the Atlantic. We used to spend vacation in myrtle Beach but never again. In the town of duck, you can walk around and not feel enveloped by the masses. Plus I've never seen the beach crowded.. Just plop down about anywhere and call it yours. I metal detect in the evening and at times there's just a handful of people as far as the eye can see. Just really laid back and a few nice little restaurants within walking distance of about any house. Pic is the view from the deck of our rental.. (sun sets over the sound) Wasn't the best rental we ever had but we're not about how extravagant the house is.. More about the sites, beach and the stay away from real life. Last pic is beach highway 12

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
OBX is extremely laid back on the north end (above Nags Head). There are several good restaurants but if you're into nightlife and partying you might be out of luck.

Take that firecracker all the way up RT12 until the pavement ends and drive it up to the VA border (there's a fence there). It is a great way to spend a day, viewing the horses, dolphins, sharks, etc. and stopping to take a dip in the Atlantic Ocean every now and again.
Awesome, thank you! Nah, no need for nightlife or partying, just some good seafood restaurants and shops. We just want to hang out and catch up. Yes, I did read that there was a fence at the boarder to VA.

There's a ton of restaurants in Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk .. About 30 minutes from duck. Duck is our favorite spot. The Sound on one side and the Atlantic on the other. Pretty much turn left and go a block to hit the sound or turn right and go a block to hit the Atlantic. We used to spend vacation in myrtle Beach but never again. In the town of duck, you can walk around and not feel enveloped by the masses. Plus I've never seen the beach crowded.. Just plop down about anywhere and call it yours. I metal detect in the evening and at times there's just a handful of people as far as the eye can see. Just really laid back and a few nice little restaurants within walking distance of about any house. Pic is the view from the deck of our rental.. (sun sets over the sound) Wasn't the best rental we ever had but we're not about how extravagant the house is.. More about the sites, beach and the stay away from real life. Last pic is beach highway 12
I think Salvo is near Duck? One of my friends stays there and loves it. Thanks so much. I just didn't want to rent a house and then have the restaurants 2 hours away.

Have you been to Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge at all? I'd like to drive that and shoot/photograph some wildlife their also.

·
Registered
801 Posts
We are heading down in November for Thanksgiving. Staying in Kitty Hawk. Will be our first time. I am surprised the water is so cold. Is that normal for July?
Been going to OBX for well over 20 years. Water temp can vary depending on the winds and I have seen it go up or drop as much as 10 degrees in 24 hrs. If you have an onshore breeze that blows the arm top water from the gulf stream in and the water is warm. If the wind is coming out of the west and you have an offshore breeze the water will be cold.

We were in Kitty hawk in the middle of June. We had a strong offshore breeze all week and the water was cold, 62 degree our last day. I look at reports and 4 days after we had left the winds had shifted and the water temp was 74.

Reactions: SOCALGAL

·
Registered
801 Posts
Awesome, thank you! Nah, no need for nightlife or partying, just some good seafood restaurants and shops. We just want to hang out and catch up. Yes, I did read that there was a fence at the boarder to VA.

I think Salvo is near Duck? One of my friends stays there and loves it. Thanks so much. I just didn't want to rent a house and then have the restaurants 2 hours away.

Have you been to Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge at all? I'd like to drive that and shoot/photograph some wildlife their also.
Salvo is about 50 miles south of Duck and across the Bonner bridge (Oregon Inlet) on Hatteras Island

Reactions: SOCALGAL

·
Registered
595 Posts
Here is a link to quick look at some fossilized shark's teeth found on Topsail Island:

Not us, but I think we had about that many in a container just like that at one point...We were a little more selective in keeping only the more complete ones! :D
No way! So cool! Topsail Island is officially on the to-do list!

OK, now researching Topsail and they have seaglass also, good thing I have lots of antique mason jars to fill!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have only been there a couple times, but saw multiple bears each time just before dark. I have never seen an alligator though. You can kayak/canoe there if you don't mind being bait. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts