Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today upon starting the Jeep (2008) I noticed a funny idle and odd acceleration on my street. Turning on to the main road, my Engine Light and Bells went off, and I could feel the issue more pronounced.

I pulled over and pulled the codes from my Bully Dog Tuner. See images below...

P1404 EGR Closed Position Performance
P0406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High
P0404 EGR Control Circuit Range
P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire

Now, I have always had the EGR issues, and gave up on chasing that ghost after changing the EGR valve and having the codes return. It does however seem like there are more EGR related codes today...

The Cylinder misfire made sense with the poor idle and pickup. I raised the hood and saw that one of the spark plug wires was arcing to the Alternator bracket. I pressed on the wire and turned the boot counter-clockwise as much as possible to provide distance from the metal. The misfire went away.

I was too busy to get involved in taking a closer look at the wires. I assume that's my next step, but appreciate any guidance from the forum...

Is my Cat. going bad as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
When a cylinder misfires, approximately one cylinder's worth of unburned gasoline is dumped out the exhaust port and into the nice hot cat, where it will finally burn. If it happens too often, the cat can overheat and be damaged.

I'm kinda in the same boat, when I got my '08 it started throwing cat codes and I can see that my ignition wires are mismatched -- meaning a prior owner replaced a few of them individually rather than as a set. I was actually able to get the cat code to clear by using a can of snake oil (you know, that colorfully-packaged "you'll pass emissions or your money back" stuff from the auto parts store) but after the next fuel up the code came right back. :(

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually able to get the cat code to clear by using a can of snake oil (you know, that colorfully-packaged "you'll pass emissions or your money back" stuff from the auto parts store) but after the next fuel up the code came right back. :(
LOL Thank you...

I recall that I used Mr. Gasket "CATACLEAN" a few years back and I was good to go. I think Ill do that after I make sure that my wires are ok to keep rolling with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts