Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of regearing my JKU. It was a pain in the a** to get the old pinion bearing races out of the rear diff, and now I'm having even more trouble getting the new ones in. I may have marred the case a bit when punching the old ones out. Does anyone have tips for getting the new ones in? Is grinding down the case surface a little bit okay?

I have a proper race punch set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC31TB3), and even tried putting anti-sieze on the races before installing. My buddy and I even went to home depot and bought some long bolts + nuts to try to press the two races into the case by tightening them together. They went in more, but are nowhere near flush.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Have you put the new races in the freezer for awhile? Leave them in overnight and try again.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: SoDakSooner

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not! I didn't think about that, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Provided they are the right sizes, that installer set should be able to get the job done. A brass punch will help avoid marring the case in the future. Did you cause any surface imperfections when removing the races that may be impeding installation? If so, you'll need to remove them and make sure you clean the housing well.

Also, are you absolutely sure the new races are the correct size? I'm surprised a screw press couldn't get this done as they can produce a lot of force. Makes me wonder if there is unintended interference somewhere.

Lastly, a heavier hammer might help - maybe a 4 -6 pounder.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Long brass punch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The races seem to be the correct size, as they both started to go in. There are some surface imperfections, I should make sure they're completely removed. I was thinking about a heavier hammer too XD. Right now I still have the axle housing connected to the Jeep via control arms & shocks. I might undo all of those & roll the housing out to get more BFH swinging room.

Do you know where I could get a punch long enough? Would Home Depot / Lowe's have something that would work? Ace Hardware? I currently live in Sunnyvale CA.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do you know where I could get a punch long enough? Would Home Depot / Lowe's have something that would work? Ace Hardware? I currently live in Sunnyvale CA.
Those places may have one, but it'll probably come down the the individual store. Amazon almost certainly will be able to get you one.

For the size of the races, I mostly just meant to double check the part number to make sure you have the right ones. Every now and again parts counter guys or shippers make a mistake.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Races in the freezer overnight for sure works like a charm with the help of a race driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When I did mine, the race driver was useless. Instead I used a brass drift punch. It was fairly easy with that. Just keep tapping and clocking the punch so the race goes in straight. The tone will change once it’s fully seated. I definitely would not grind or sand the seat, other than to take down any ridges or marring you caused during removal of the old race.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm away from my shop but I think you need at least 12" for the inner pinion race on the D44.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts