Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak between my engine and trans. My engine was pretty grimy so I climbed under it and scrubbed fairly well. As soon as I fired up the jeep a drip started up on the driver's side of the plate between the engine and trans. At first I thought it was the rear main, I'm starting to lean towards the oil pan gasket because wouldn't the rear main be more in the center of the plate? I may take that plate off for a better look. Ill edit in an image in a few.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic (hopefully it works :)). I would think if it was the seal, the leak would be more in the middle of that pan not the side. I could be wrong though. I would much rather just change the pan gasket though :\

jeepoilleak.jpg

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'm not clicking on an unknown link but the oil pan is prone to leak w engine running or not but rms would be running only..... that said, it's 90% the same job.... just change em both at the same time
Takes less than 15 extra minutes to do the rms w oil pan off

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2.5 and only leaks when running. I think the trans has to be pulled to do it.

Would the pan leak if sitting flat and not running?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a clean link. Just to the image, but your call. I wasn't able to post it in the body due to posting from my phone.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's a 2.5 and only leaks when running. I think the trans has to be pulled to do it.

Would the pan leak if sitting flat and not running?
It depends on the volume of the pan if oil level is below the sim it wont leak.
Check also if there is no pressure buildup in the carter maybe pcv valve is faulty and extra pressure is pushing oil out.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
His imgur link is safe, it's an image hosting service that is unfortunately not compatible with this forum.

Many of us use Dropbox, and Google to host our images, but Wrangler forum can also host them.

In desktop mode click advanced, manage attachments, upload photos.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends on the volume of the pan if oil level is below the sim it wont leak.
Check also if there is no pressure buildup in the carter maybe pcv valve is faulty and extra pressure is pushing oil out.

Normally I'm good with spell correct and mispellings (if that's the case here), but what do you mean by carter?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His imgur link is safe, it's an image hosting service that is unfortunately not compatible with this forum.

Many of us use Dropbox, and Google to host our images, but Wrangler forum can also host them.

In desktop mode click advanced, manage attachments, upload photos.

I know this is off topic but I had my phone on 'full version' and i couldn't even quote people. I had to log into my PC. I'll see if I can fix my above link to the image since I'm on now anyway

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Normally I'm good with spell correct and mispellings (if that's the case here), but what do you mean by carter?
Crankcase -sorry many languages in my head.
So basically if pcv valve is stuck close than pressure will build inside the motor pushing oil out.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There is no pcv valve... just a ccv.... that said the orifice could be clogged but it would blow out into the air intake way before pushing past a (good) rms or oil pan gasket...

Oops... yeah 2.5 would require more effort to change rms...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Previous owner just plopped a hose in the ccv and ran it under the jeep. Something I plan to rectify before. I start driving it more often. I have the part I just need the hose. I don't think it's the pressure though. I'm pretty sure it's either the gasket or rms. I'm just hoping it's NOT the rms. I don't feel like pulling the trans lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Seeing where the drip is, I'd guess that the leak is most probably in the RMS, rather than the pan gasket.
If I had a leak in that area and went as far as pulling the pan, I would spend the extra effort to pull the trans so that I could replace the RMS at the same time. I like working on my Jeep, but I much prefer to be driving it.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Gottagofast

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep... I hadn't noticed you had the pic uploaded now...
I'm gonna agree w LM on the location.... especially given the fact that you said it promptly leaks upon starting....
To go ahead and jump into full snowball mode.... might as well look into the clutch while it's apart...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what kind of kills me. The clutch was done by the previous owner. You would have thought the rms would have been done then as PM...

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Maybe it was and got messed up during installation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True. I have no idea if it was.a home job or a shop so you never know. It's slow. I ran it this morning a bit and it just sort of seeps into a drip.

I saw the blue devil rms sealer. I'm assuming that's snake oil though.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Additives could slow the leak but will aren't good for the rest of your seals and gaskets...

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
True. I have no idea if it was.a home job or a shop so you never know. It's slow. I ran it this morning a bit and it just sort of seeps into a drip.

I saw the blue devil rms sealer. I'm assuming that's snake oil though.
Radiator sealant, transmission fix in a can, RMS repair in a can....all snake oil.

The only way to do the repair and have any chance of a lasting repair without unwanted side effects is to replace whatever seal/gasket that's leaking.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts