Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I finally got plates and drove it around a bit. A knocking sound emerged and my oil pressure was dropping down to about 10 when at idle. Driving it was about 40 still. Parked the jeep and no oil leak at the rear main seal.

Let it sit to cool down, checked the oil with the dipstick and it was a milky white mixed in with the oil. So probably RMS, knock noise AND head gasket..I'm going to go with time for a new engine.

The good news is a place near me will put in a used engine for around 850 (includes engine and install). I would almost rather get a new or refurbished one, but I don't have the 2G to drop on it at the moment, so used one in and rebuild the old one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Actually, the ccv at the top, or ocv whatever, may have been shut. It wasn't on right so I'm wondering if that caused moisture to get in the oil.

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Why is anyone suggesting pulling the trans to fix a rear main seal? Am I missing something?

Why do people think that a head gasket failure means a new engine? Am I missing something else?

Pull the head off and fix the gasket, why are you assuming a $850 used engine is going to bolt in and not have issues? What if the knock is caused by a dropped lifter? Or a stuck valve?

You need to spent more time under the hood rather than the drivers seat.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
On the 2.5 the trans has to be pulled for a rms...

The OP felt that the combination of rms, head gasket, AND engine knock warranted a replacement engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
With all of this things combined with a slight knock that seems to line up with the piston slap theory, it might be better to just replace the engine for now, and rebuild this one.

If it was just a head gasket, that would be fine. I can do that. But the combo just leads me towards replacement.

You're correct though that the new motor may also have issues. It does make me a bit nervous but the place does guarantee it and let me hear it fired up first before doing anything.

My other thought is drive it until it dies and save up for a new or refurbished motor with a warranty.

Btw, since fixing the ccv at the top and an oil change, Ive had no more milky sludge. So that's one thing less 😀

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
With all of this things combined with a slight knock that seems to line up with the piston slap theory, it might be better to just replace the engine for now, and rebuild this one.

If it was just a head gasket, that would be fine. I can do that. But the combo just leads me towards replacement.

You're correct though that the new motor may also have issues. It does make me a bit nervous but the place does guarantee it and let me hear it fired up first before doing anything.

My other thought is drive it until it dies and save up for a new or refurbished motor with a warranty.

Btw, since fixing the ccv at the top and an oil change, Ive had no more milky sludge. So that's one thing less 😀
If it has water in the oil and you continue to drive it, the lack of lubrication will cause its demise quickly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Agreed. I changed it before driving again and have been monitoring. So far the oil has been clean.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Short trip syndrome....
If the p/o let it set alot and or just drove it on short trips, the engine would never get hot enough to boil off condensation and cause a buildup of water in the oil

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Could be that too. Either way,my biggest concern now is the noise. I'll post a video of it soon.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts