Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent some time getting to know my Jeep better this weekend. 1.5 RK springs front and back, Northridge bolt kit. The biggest problem I had was with the TF rear track bar bracket for the axle. I purchased it because it looked like the beefiest one out there but I had trouble torquing the u bolt. Instructions called for 85 ft lbs on the u bolt nuts and I never got there. the bracket started bending a little around the axle tube so then the bolt ends started spreading apart. the nuts started galling into the washers so I removed them and installed grade 8 washers. Anyhow I got about 75 ft lbs on the u bolt, the bracket has started cracking. Has anyone come across this?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did, I went back and forth, insuring to keep the threads past the nut at the same lengths. I'm going to check with TF tomorrow and let them know what I have.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Didnt have any troubles with mine. Tried to keep both sides even when torquing. Itll torque out eventually keep going. Just get them real close and then go a quarter turn on each bolt.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the ends of the u bolt spread out? As it is I would not be able to remove the bracket without hammering the bolt ends straight, and the bracket is cracking near the bend. I'm thinking a replacement is in order. If it works out well I will I wanted to weld it in permanently but it would make it difficult to change springs in the future unless you could somehow pull the spring out the front of the axle

·
Registered
825 Posts
Whoa! Torque on the U-bolt is 40 ft lbs. No need to go any further. Torque evenly. Do the center bolt first, 75 ft lbs IIRC, the the lower control arm bolt, 125 ft lbs, then the U- bolts last. If you or a grind can weld, not a bad idea to put a bead right along the bracket at the axle tube, too.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seemed excessive to me. I have the install guide in front of me. 1/2" bolt with spacer, 75'#, u-bolt, 85'#, trackbar bolt 125'#

I did the CA bolt first, to get the bracket up tight, then the center bolt, then I couldnt get the trackbar lined up correctly so I took the center bolt back loose to get the trackbar in.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Will that bracket work with only 1.5" springs? Unless I'm looking at the wrong one TF says that it is for 2-6" lift.
I have 1.5 RK springs and did not do anything about the track bar and am not noticing any issues driving.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one did have 3 holes and I used the bottom hole. I am at 2" of lift with a 7.25 measurement at the bumpstop. Did I need one? maybe, maybe not Jadmt was happy with his install and the RK 1.5 kits include one. I really like the way the Jeep is driving but don't know if it would be worse without it. Anyhow they are going to send me a new one. They said I could probably weld up the crack and then weld the bracket to the axle and all will be well but they also said they would send one if I wanted. They said to hold the torque setting to 60 or so on the u bolt

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
This one did have 3 holes and I used the bottom hole. I am at 2" of lift with a 7.25 measurement at the bumpstop. Did I need one? maybe, maybe not Jadmt was happy with his install and the RK 1.5 kits include one. I really like the way the Jeep is driving but don't know if it would be worse without it. Anyhow they are going to send me a new one. They said I could probably weld up the crack and then weld the bracket to the axle and all will be well but they also said they would send one if I wanted. They said to hold the torque setting to 60 or so on the u bolt
It's a subtle but nice improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts