Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm troubleshooting a no start on my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L w/ manual transmission.

Beginning last week when I turn the key to start I get a single click. All accessories work. This happens 8 out of 10 times. When it does start, it runs normal. Most no starts occur after sitting overnight.

- Battery was replaced ~1 month ago. Battery voltage tests good. Battery terminals have been cleaned and tightened.
- Behavior does not change with the clutch safety switch fuse override installed.
- Alternator output tests good while running.
- Starter was removed and tested at Advanced Auto. It passed their machine. (I am skeptical that their test can identify bad brushes that would cause intermittent starting.)
- If I connect a jumper wire to the solenoid terminal and touch the battery positive terminal the starter spins but does not turn over the engine. Same happens if I try to jump the starter with a screwdriver.

I'm interested in any additional testing I can perform before dropping $100 on a refurb starter that might come with it's own set of issues. Unfortunately when it won't start I don't have time to test, and when I have all day to test it starts fine.

Next steps are to:
- Re-check all grounds and cables running between starter and battery.
- Pull apart steering column and inspect ignition actuator, though I'm guessing it's fine since I always get a single click when trying to start.
- Any additional testing all of you can suggest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like the PO installed a remote starter, on a 5-speed. I'm guessing the new battery swap last month contributed in some way. Hopefully I can uninstall the remote car starter without causing more issues.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
See if the lights dim when you try and start it. Would indicate either a weak battery, or amp hungry starter, or poor connection. Voltage is a poor test for battery condition. A bad battery will show proper voltage, yet have no amp capability.

And at least from the sounds of your testing, the solenoid is not engaging on the starter. That's why the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over.

That said though, that should be what you hear when you try and start it with the key. But it's not, at least from your description. The click could be related to the PO's auto start malfunctioning, or back to a poor connection, bad battery (it does happen) or faulty starter.

I'm leaning towards a poor connection somewhere. As you mentioned it's more prevalent cold. A poor connection causes resistance, resistance causes heat. Heat can eventually cause a poor connection to swell and finally make enough of a connection to allow the vehicle to start.

·
Registered
216 Posts
also try jumping the starter with the screw driver trick. if it doesn't work it's either the starter or the connection from the battery

·
Read Only
365 Posts
Not sure if it's relevant but I had an old 66 GTO.. and that starter had a "hot spot" in it..basically it's an area in the starter motor when it gets hot..metal swells.. the internals aren't quit round.. and it won't turn over..let it sit for 15-20 mins.. it fires right up..
The only other suggestion would be having an "electrical system diagnostics" done were they can monitor the amperage draw during a starter test.

Also you could check for ohms/resistance through positive & negative battery cables..see if there is any corrosion in the wires on the ends..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did check the engine ground. It seems solid. I'll need to check the FSM for other ground locations. The past two days it's started fine. We've also had temps above ~25F so that could be a major factor.

Remote starter is definitely not something I was happy to find. Too many potential failure points with that thing. Looking at how it was installed, I'm hesitant to muck around removing it. I found a clipped wire in a plastic loom in the engine compartment that (according to the remote starter wiring diagram) is supposed to be the hood input to kill the engine if the hood is opened. I'm thinking this might have been shorting since the cut end wasn't in the loom. I've since tucked it in the loom.

The starter test is strange because no matter how long I hold the screwdriver across the terminals, it won't engage the flywheel. Same with jumping the solenoid and battery positive terminal with a piece of wire. Maybe I was doing it wrong? I'm going to try the same thing testing the starter relay slots (#30 & #87) this weekend.

I do appreciate the responses. If I ever find the solution I'll post an update. Maybe I should just chalk it up to the Jeep flu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts