Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Truck-lite had said they were coming out with a version of their LED headlights that did not require some addition relay kit to get rid of the "flicker" at idle. I was curious if anyone else had any updated info on this??

Thanks guys.

Chad

·
Registered
821 Posts
Removing Flicker Optoins

First off I don't have the truck-lite's but I'm intrested in getting a pair.
FLICKER
I have heard that it is not too bad except when your idling. Here are some videos.
Truck-Lite Flicker - YouTube
Truck-Lite Flicker - YouTube
TO REMOVE FLICKER
STILL BEST MOST EXPENSIVE OPTION
People have been useing the full harness with relays and have said that it gets rid of the flicker. Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product (H13-H4 option) for $180. That seems to be the best option because there isn't any delay when switching off the brights.
Headlight Shootout - Page 32 - JeepForum.com (Post 474)
Hilldweller-There's no delay on Chris' Rubi with the SMS harness; there is with the Trucklite Dongle. Same Trucklite Phase 7 lights.
No stock delay, no delay with Hellas & SMS harness, no delay with IPF craptastic lights and craptastic adapter.
NEW TRUCK-LITE DONGLE
Truck-Lite Offical "new" Pig Tail Dongle that adds capacitors to remove the flicker. I'm not sure where you can get them but it look like they are out.

Headlight Shootout - Page 31 - JeepForum.com (Post 461) POSTED 10-8-2012
dstocks-I spoke with a Trucklite rep at the Off-road Expo in So Cal this weekend and he said the dongle was available now but didn't know a price off the top of his head.

Anyone know where to purchase them yet? Couldn't find it on the Trucklite website.
They do seem to have an issue switching quickly to low-beams from high.
Headlight Shootout - Page 32 - JeepForum.com (Post 478)
Originally Posted by MrFusion
Curious, do you have a slight delay when switching from lowbeams to highbeams with the stock lights?

JeepCO12- Note - it's the other way around - from high to low. At least on our Jeep. Which is where it gets to be a concern and why I noticed it. If you are a bit late on dipping as an oncoming driver comes around the corner, the delay makes it worse as you want to kill the high beams ASAP.

I have to say it's pretty subtle though. I exercised the stalk several times with the lights aimed at the garage wall to confirm that it's about half a beat longer going from high to low than the other way around. Not a big deal - just want to make sure the dongle design gets looked at if it is the culprit but not if it turns out to be a 2012 Jeep thing.

Over on the Lotus Elise forum we used to have a smilie holding a placard saying TADTS. "They All Do That Sir". I wonder if it will turn out to be appropriate here

.......Gary
Hopefully those bookmarks will help you navigate the novel, that is the headlight shootout.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just put the Truck-Lites in my '13 Friday afternoon and used the H13-H4 adapter that was included with the lights. I haven't noticed any flicker or delay in my lights at all. Not saying it doesn't exist, maybe it does in my Jeep, but it isn't noticeable to me that I'm at all concerned about it.

Don't know if they are worth the $450 upgrade since I haven't been out a lot in total darkness with them, but they are certainly brighter and cast a wider beam than the OEM beams.

·
Registered
157 Posts
no flicker ever on mine.....I am happy with them as well as the look of the front end with them installed....worth the price?..... Jury is still out .....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here's an update from Truck-Lite:

I called and spoke with their tech support people this morning (pacific time). The lady I spoke with was very familiar with this issue and stated that they are expecting a "pigtail" fix by mid to late november. I asked her if this was going to also convert the line to an H13, or if we were going to have to use two pig tails (anti-flicker and H4 to h13). She did not know, but "hoped" it would both, stop the flicker and convert to an H13, since the newer jeeps are the one having the flicker issue in the first place.

Now you know what I know (which isn't very much).

Chad

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can tell you that with the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution LED headlights, they have upgraded their harness to eliminate flickering. Anything built from the factory after August 17, 2012 are upgraded to not have the flicker on the newer JK's. I know firsthand that it's true. I bought the lights, had a monster flickering problem. JW Speaker swapped out for the newer dated lights. No flicker since......knock on wood. It's only been a week.

·
Registered
327 Posts
For those of you thinking the Truck Lite wasn't a huge improvement over OEM make sure you readjust your headlights. I've noticed when you switch from bulb to LED the LED is automatically higher for some reason. I'm running these on 3 OTR rigs and my Jeep. Love them although ice and snow won't melt off them only issue I've ever found. I wax mine and it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any updates?

I bought my 2013 JK this past October. Have had HID installed unsuccessfully an had it removed (engine light came on, engine lost power, light harness melted) .....

I just ordered the truck-lite LEDs thinking it was a plug and play and is MADE for the WANGLERS. Until I saw the "flickering" issue....

My lights arrived yesterday. (1/29/13) still sitting in the box. Do I need to buy a "rally harness?" Or where can I buy this new pigtail from truck lite?

Any advice would be helpful. Otherwise I may have to end up just returning it as it costed me $500 just to restore/repair everything last time from the dealer

Please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just googled and came across this TLG-AUTO website and they sell these anti-flicker harness. Anyone bought fom them before? Is it reliable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just googled and came across this TLG-AUTO website and they sell these anti-flicker harness. Anyone bought fom them before? Is it reliable?

Install the lights before you spend money on a wiring harness. It seems some people have more flicker than others. Mine personally do not flicker that bad, you can just barely see around idle. Its such a small issue I wouldn't spend a dime to try and correct it.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
I can tell you that with the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution LED headlights, they have upgraded their harness to eliminate flickering. Anything built from the factory after August 17, 2012 are upgraded to not have the flicker on the newer JK's. I know firsthand that it's true. I bought the lights, had a monster flickering problem. JW Speaker swapped out for the newer dated lights. No flicker since......knock on wood. It's only been a week.
THIS IS A FLAT OUT LIE BY THE WAY. It may have worked for this guy but several of us with newer lights still have flicker. Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm just trying to prevent misinformation from spreading.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
THIS IS A FLAT OUT LIE BY THE WAY. It may have worked for this guy but several of us with newer lights still have flicker. Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm just trying to prevent misinformation from spreading.
yes it seems like flicker is hit or miss with led's regardless of brand. I am lucky, so far no noticible flicker in 600 miles with my truck-lites. I need to have my wife drive my jeep behind me while in her car to see if any is detectable. There is none detecable from the driver's seat when stopped behind other vehicles.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
yes it seems like flicker is hit or miss with led's regardless of brand. I am lucky, so far no noticible flicker in 600 miles with my truck-lites. I need to have my wife drive my jeep behind me while in her car to see if any is detectable. There is none detecable from the driver's seat when stopped behind other vehicles.
That's good. Honestly, 3 weeks later I'm starting to care less about the flicker - am currently moving on to other mods.

Give me another month, I probably won't care any more. I'll probably still fix it at some point. The auto light on feature when unlocking the car is useful, but I had to turn it off cause it was giving squirrels seizures.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That's good. Honestly, 3 weeks later I'm starting to care less about the flicker - am currently moving on to other mods.

Give me another month, I probably won't care any more. I'll probably still fix it at some point. The auto light on feature when unlocking the car is useful, but I had to turn it off cause it was giving squirrels seizures.
Yup you & I purchased about the same time & had the flicker the ant-flicker harness did work for me although the flicker was slight to begin with oh well

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
tonight I got out and looked at my headlights on both dim and high beam to see if flicker could be noticed looking at them head on. Jeep was idling and I could not detect any flicker looking at them so I don't think anyone would notice flicker if I were behind them.
On dim looking at them they are not offensive at all, on brights they seemed pretty blinding looking at them from head on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I m certainly not going to be spending that kind of dough on lights that will, or might, flicker. If there is a fix for this that requires a seperate part (whether it be a wiring harness or other item), then Trucklite and Speaker (& others) ought to include it with your purchase.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Installed Truck-lites in my 2012, there is a slight flicker but you need to be facing a wall
and at a pretty close distance (in a garage) to see it. At least on mine...the X or Y pattern you see from them takes a bit to get used to. They are 10x's better than stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts