Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between JW Speaker LEDs and Quadratecs Truck Lite heated LEDs. The price difference is 100 dollars less for the Teuck Lites and they are also heated.

Any and all opinions are welcome....

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've had the regular trucklites and I now have the JW Speaker 8700 J's. Visually they are similar. I think the JW are a bit brighter and throw the light more evenly than the trucklites. There was a "hotspot" in my trucklites in the light pattern out in front, but it wasn't a big deal to me. The JW's look bad ass in my opinion compared to the trucklites, but they both are better looking than stock. If you are in an area that gets considerable snowfall I'd say your choice is easy, get the heated trucklites. If not, buy the ones you like the most first that way you don't have to buy them both like I did. I also got my JW Speakers for under $600 last Black Friday. If you can wait they had crazy deals on them last year!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm in the same position. I've been waffling between a H4 conversion, Q'tecs, and JWS.

At first I was set on the heated Truck-Lites, but talked myself out of them since the number of days I actually drive in the snow is low. It does happen, but not often enough to really need to address it. And I've seen posts that say that the heated lights still get iced over in certain conditions anyway. For the money, might as well save a bit more and get the JWS.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Not sure of TruckLites, but Speakers are on Amazon for under $580.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the JW 8700J's and now have the heated Trucklites. I prefer the JW's for light output but I needed to switch to the heated lights because of snow build up.

Low beam output and pattern- Win to JW
High Beam output and pattern- Win to Trucklite
Live in an area which gets snow - Win to Trucklite

I wasn't happy giving up the JW's, but I have to be able to see in all types of weather. If I didn't have snow, I would still have JW's. Both are an upgrade to the stock headlights, but then again, so is a flashlight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in Colorado so we do have to contend with snow occasionally. I saw the trucklites at quadratic for about 550.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I get a chuckle. I read reviews all the time, "The JWS's are brighter and they have a smoother beam pattern, they're better but......"

Sorta like saying, "the Race car is faster and handles better but....."

The sited characteristics ARE the point not the BUT.....

" JWS if one finds them affordable and then - the other choices".

Only exception being "IF" someone really lives in an extreme environment where icing is a constant issue. I live in the Pocono Mountains of the N/E and get along just fine with my JWS's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get a chuckle. I read reviews all the time, "The JWS's are brighter and they have a smoother beam pattern, they're better but......"

Sorta like saying, "the Race car is faster and handles better but....."

The sited characteristics ARE the point not the BUT.....

" JWS if one finds them affordable and then - the other choices".

Only exception being "IF" someone really lives in an extreme environment where icing is a constant issue. I live in the Pocono Mountains of the N/E and get along just fine with my JWS's.

It's the heated lights I am interested in. Need to decide just how much if a problem iced headlights really are.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have owned both. The JWS is a much better headlight. The beam is far superior.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I installed the JWS 8700J's this weekend, and all I can say is OMG!!! What a difference. And shop around, you can get them much less than the list price. I paid $475 for mine, plus free shipping.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I paid 475 shipped from Northridge4x4 , but I had to call to get the discounted price. If you just look on their website, they will be listed 700$ish

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am in Colorado so we do have to contend with snow occasionally. I saw the trucklites at quadratic for about 550.
It's the heated lights I am interested in. Need to decide just how much if a problem iced headlights really are.
I debated the same LED lighting issue (in my head) for the last 6 months, and finally decided to go with the GTR Lighting Gen 2 LED bulbs for both the headlights and fogs (total cost $408.00). Headlight Revolution has some very informative videos about LED options on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HeadlightRevolution. The bulbs are scheduled to be delivered Tuesday, so by next weekend I should know if I made a good decision or not. I finally came to the conclusion that the snow is probably a non-issue 95% of the time, and if I have to clean them off occasionally when it is, so be it. Again, time will tell if it's a problem or not.

On your mod list, you might want to plan on a gear upgrade as well. The 4.10's don't do well climbing in the mountains with 35's. I went with 4.56, and they helped considerably, although 4.88 probably would have been better.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
This is from a 15 min trip. For the "Oh I don't see that much snow" crowd, when snow is on the lens, it turns the light into like a home light bulb. It lights everything up, got so bad that I had to turn them off and drive by the foglights, until I was able to pull over and clean them off. We have had 4 snow storms ranging from more sleet to wet and no build up.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
This is from a 15 min trip. For the "Oh I don't see that much snow" crowd, when snow is on the lens, it turns the light into like a home light bulb. It lights everything up, got so bad that I had to turn them off and drive by the foglights, until I was able to pull over and clean them off. We have had 4 snow storms ranging from more sleet to wet and no build up.

Anybody's guess what light would have made a difference in that case. My last Rubi had Stockers and I had to stop just as often for the lights as I did the wipers - is what it is.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Anybody's guess what light would have made a difference in that case. My last Rubi had Stockers and I had to stop just as often for the lights as I did the wipers - is what it is.
Wife's jeep with stockers had no build up during the same drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have heated Trucklites. They are better than stock, but it's not a mind blowing difference.

However, combined with the Rigid D2 fogs, now that's some light. The fogs make the set up for me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts