Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other nite after shopping in the JKU, the wife says "Turn on your headlights"
My reply "Um, they are on"

This got me thinking perhaps its time to upgrade.
I like the look of Truck-lites due to their "smoked out" look.

However, my concern is the reviews that speak of an "X pattern" given off.
How annoying is this patterm?
Also, is this X pattern common with other brands?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I installed them on my cousins Jeep. Wasn't impressed with the overall light output but one thing i liked about them is they beam is very wide. They also had X pattern which isn't a big deal maybe because i don't drive it at all :).

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
If you get the horizontal adjustment screws you can get rid of most of the X pattern - but not all of it. Those adjustment screws are a good idea, anyway ($12 each).

I don't notice the pattern in mine at all anymore, and really not after the first day. The light output is stellar, and I needed the heated lenses up here in the tundra... win.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you get the horizontal adjustment screws you can get rid of most of the X pattern - but not all of it. Those adjustment screws are a good idea, anyway ($12 each).

I don't notice the pattern in mine at all anymore, and really not after the first day. The light output is stellar, and I needed the heated lenses up here in the tundra... win.
with the horizontal adjusters, i still could not get out the X pattern. All it did was move the X over more. many people reported the same. the X is from the offset chipset position.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the heated version. The improvement over stock made me very happy. They do look smoked color in the advertising but they are not at all. The just look pretty much like ordinary OEM lights.

When on in low beam only the top half light up. I like that look. Also the X factor is clearly there on the ground to see, but it doesn't bother me at all. I would prefer if it wasn't there but I don't even notice it now. For me it is not distracting at all.

I tried to find an image of the TL so you could see low to high beam that shows the lazy eye look in low beam, I did find one that shows KC brand and this is pretty much the same as TL.

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/kc-hilites-7inch-led-headlight-high-and-low.jpg

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I had the plain T/Ls and first wet snow of the year

So far the TruckLites are the only heated versions and they do work. The X was annoying at first, but not a big deal. I just got the horz. adj screws today and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I installed them on my cousins Jeep. Wasn't impressed with the overall light output but one thing i liked about them is they beam is very wide. They also had X pattern which isn't a big deal maybe because i don't drive it at all :).
I sold mine after one day because they aren't any better in the city than stock IMO, but they do really make a difference where it is completely dark. The X or Y or whatever it is annoyed me as well. I don't drive enough at night to justify the price.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
I to ran trucklites and now am running a different brand I'm happy with. The trucklites did not have a wide enough beam and I could not get rid of a flicker they developed after about two months. I sold them and now am running a set I have been very impressed with.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I for one am perfectly happy with my Trucklites. Much brighter than the stock ones, have a wide beam, and the high beams are bright as hell.

The 'X' was very noticeable and annoying a first. It was the one thing that I had a problem with with the Trucklites, but now almost a year later I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed my TLs last week and I really only notice the x pattern when I have something almost directly infront of me. When driving the streets where the beam can hit its complete output, I don't notice it at all. Absolutely love the lights, huge upgrade over stock, the install is simple and you can get a pair for about 320

·
Registered
2020 JT Mojave Sting Gray
272 Posts
The 'X' is noticeable, but the overall light output is much much better than stock. I am very happy with mine. At some point I will probably upgrade to the JW Speakers, but I got a great deal on the Trucklites (<$350 with harnesses) and can't justify the cost of the Speakers yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have trucklights for a little over a year I suppose. To me it's only annoying if I make a point of looking at the x. Actually I shouldn't even say 'annoying'. It's just there and after a week you probably won't care unless you are obsessed about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I installed the truck-lites a few months ago and am impressed with their light output and the dark look when you see them during the day. The X pattern is present but it doesn't bother me. It's one of those things that just blends in to the background when you get used to it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought truck-lites from a fellow WF member a few months back. The light output is way better than stock and I really don't even notice the X artifact any more. Overall they're a great upgrade especially for the price.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I had the trucklites for one day . I really liked the wide pattern but didn't like the light output .i think my h4 cibies are way better and throw a better pattern to fill in the lines i got from the trucklites

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the heated version. The improvement over stock made me very happy. They do look smoked color in the advertising but they are not at all. The just look pretty much like ordinary OEM lights.

When on in low beam only the top half light up. I like that look. Also the X factor is clearly there on the ground to see, but it doesn't bother me at all. I would prefer if it wasn't there but I don't even notice it now. For me it is not distracting at all.

I tried to find an image of the TL so you could see low to high beam that shows the lazy eye look in low beam, I did find one that shows KC brand and this is pretty much the same as TL.

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/kc-hilites-7inch-led-headlight-high-and-low.jpg

This what you're looking for?
Untitled by Jay Downey, on Flickr

Low:
Truck-light LED by Jay Downey, on Flickr

highs:
Truck-light LED by Jay Downey, on Flickr

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have the heated truck lites and they are a big improvement over stock. The Quadratec ones are really good too - I had those first and then decided I needed the heated for wet snow. Both are great. If snow is not an issue the QTecs are great for the money,

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for that. That will show most people that the X thing isn't a deal breaker. It will only stop the most OCD amongst us. For heated lights it is TL only. If a heated light isn't a choice factor I would probably have got the JW Speaker J.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts