Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how much of an issue it is. But I'm in the process of installing my Trucklites with the anti-flicker harness (Part #96830). My issue is that when I plug the Trucklite Harness into the OEM harness the red tab doesn't want to click back into place. Its all the way in there so I'm wondering if wrapping it up in some electrical tape is fine or whether I should keep trying to push it in father.

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
You need to get replacement harnesses. I had the exact same problem with first two sent to me from 4WD Parts. I had to get replacements from the local 4WD Parts store. The harness connectors are defective. There is apparently a batch of defective connectors. The real irony here is the fact these were US made harnesses. No one apparently checked to see if the connectors matched any drawings or standards. The replacement harnesses were assembled in Mexico as I recall.
BTW, my 2014 Wrangler did not seem to need the harness, but I decided to use it anyway. I did not want to find out later that the problem would appear.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks.

Also odd thing I just tested. They were perfectly. No flicker or anything. Just doesn't click.. So I might get the new harnesses, but for now I think running them like this is fine..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured I'd give a quick update on this. I just completed a 290 mile road trip with these wrapped in electrical tape down to school in St. Louis and had zero issues. I also emailed Northridge 4x4 (where I ordered them from) and received a reply from the President of Northridge of all people. Apparently this has been a problem for a while now and he had reassured me that it will be fine and that he personally uses zipties instead. Never thought I'd get a reply from the president of Northridge but that is really nice and cool :thumb:. So when I drive back home next I might do the zipties as suggested in the email.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow I thought I just couldent get them to snap in lol I used zip ties

Had them for like 3 weeks no issues yet, to be honest I think that they are tight enough that even without the zip tie it would hold but I'm not worried about them at all, atleast I know now I'm not crazy cause I spent like a hour trying to get them to click until I just gave up and figured the zip tie would work lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Meatball_man - Yea I spent like an hour trying to get them to click too haha. At that point I figured I'd turn them on the see if they work. Which too my surprise they did. So I decided to get the electric tape and call it job done there.

@ TTS22 - No I did not. When I wrapped them in the electrical tape I used so much that there is literally no contact with the air at all. So I'm hoping I won't have a need. But if end up switching to the zip ties I may put some on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had the same problem no matter how hard I pushed, it wouldn't go in far enough to let the clip slide over the little ramp piece. I took a small exacto knife and slightly trimmed the edge of the ramp part enough that the factory harness end slipped over and allowed me to lock the red tab. Didn't take much, was almost like the ramp was molded at an angle. Trimmed so its straight and everything fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had to use zip ties on mine and tape. Pretty lame when dropping 4 bills. On top of that, these Trucklites can't even hold up to some mud without scratching profusely. Absolute rip off if you ask me

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Had to use zip ties on mine and tape. Pretty lame when dropping 4 bills. On top of that, these Trucklites can't even hold up to some mud without scratching profusely. Absolute rip off if you ask me
Are u scrubbing the light while the mud is on them? I always rinse the mud off first. Had mine for 3 years now still not scratched.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Are any of you using dielectric grease in the connectors?
I used a good coating of dielectric grease on mine. Had the same problem with the red tab. I just used electrical tape and they've been fine for 1,500 miles. I will add the zip ties, though. That's a great idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts