Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Anyone use this? I wanted to see picture of underside to see the ducting the speak of.

I have noticed, my hood is very hot, even on short little trips out and about.

Wouldn't mind fresh air by induction box either, maybe a CAI alternative, and cool hood?

Truck Master Designs JK780-H - Truck Master Designs™ Cold Air Induction Hood for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
WF member MajorChuck has one. Looks awesome, but I'm not sure how much it's actually gonna cool things off. Probably vents pretty well, though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kb, I will try to spy on his profile, haha.

Kj, I really like that hood, looks awesome, and if it saves 300 on CAI, plus I keep my stock box and filter. I might look at this hood as only costing $700.

Oh why did I buy a Jeep, I have never cared or loved a vehicle this much at all!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For cooling, the AEV hood would be better since it has a large vent above the radiator.

AEV Heat Reduction Hood for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Looked at that too, but this intrigues me more ("The molded internal air duct also pipes cold outside air to factory air box intake to further increase engine efficiency") which is why I wanted to see underside. It also states that the side vents are for venting air, so I wanted to see where air is coming in.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
New2012JEEP said:

Kj, I really like that hood, looks awesome, and if it saves 300 on CAI, plus I keep my stock box and filter. I might look at this hood as only costing $700.

Oh why did I buy a Jeep, I have never cared or loved a vehicle this much at all!
Having a black wrangler, it does get really hot under the hood-during the summer.

I remember asking him about that hood and If he was able to monitor his IAT temps. I don't think he was able to at the time.

Recently bought a Superchips so will find out come summer.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

$700 is unpainted, I believe. Plug the hood name into the search field (advanced search, limited to the JK Jeep Wrangler section) and you'll find MajorChuck's post about his mods. He talks about total cost in there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the TMD hood and love it. Looks great, is very functionally getting cool air to the engine, and keeps it cool, and also exhausts the heat out. I do have a 5.7 VVT under there, and this hood was recommended by the installer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have the TMD hood and love it. Looks great, is very functionally getting cool air to the engine, and keeps it cool, and also exhausts the heat out. I do have a 5.7 VVT under there, and this hood was recommended by the installer.
Great looking JK jeepnpete!!

A friend of mine has a Burnsville Offroad V8 conversion in his JK and this hood and said it reduced underhood temps substantially. It will also not let in as much MN salt into the engine bay as some of the other hoods.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great looking JK jeepnpete!!

A friend of mine has a Burnsville Offroad V8 conversion in his JK and this hood and said it reduced underhood temps substantially. It will also not let in as much MN salt into the engine bay as some of the other hoods.

Just so happens that is were my conversion came from as well. Those guys really know Jeeps :punk:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
$700 is unpainted, I believe. Plug the hood name into the search field (advanced search, limited to the JK Jeep Wrangler section) and you'll find MajorChuck's post about his mods. He talks about total cost in there.

The hood is $1200 the paint was almost another $700.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How well does the hood mate up to the air intake box? Aren't cowl induction or any ram air hoods mated up to the intake underneath with a rubber seal so they don't also suck in hot air from the engine bay? It looks like the rectangular vent underneath the hood near the intake is suited well for the stock air box, but I wonder how close it would bring the cold air to an aftermarket intake. Or if a different brand of aftermarket intake would be better than another. Plus, if it were possible to mate the hood air tight against the intake, wouldn't that give you a few more inches of fording. Obviously, it wouldn't be a true snorkel, but could it give you peace of mind for a quick splash or two?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I could be way off about the fording. Might only be a marginal difference, or even worse than just letting water run off the top of the hood. I'm new, but been reading and reading. The tmd hood rocks! Did I mention that I love my jeep?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts