Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email from TrueCar that said:

"We want to let you know that Jeep is offering a new $500 incentive that you may qualify for. Head in now to your TrueCar Certified Dealer to redeem your savings."

I have seen where TrueCar will send you a $1000 incentive after 2 weeks of signing up, but a) this is for $500 b) when I click the "claim savings" button it takes me back to my TrueCar page that just lists the dealers and their certificates stating what their pricing will be under MSRP and c) it hasn't been two weeks yet (about 10 days).

So, is this something different? Or does anyone know how I would go about validating? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you go to Truecar there is a link on the left that lets you pick available incentives (they have info on the qualifications). The one they are likely showing for the wrangler is the military bonus cash. I bet they are just letting you know that it is there and you may qualify for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know Jeep offers the $500 military rebate, possibly that?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Not many Jeep buyers qualify for the military rebate...

I know Jeep offers the $500 military rebate, possibly that?
Relates to the Military rebate comment... not many Jeep buyers qualify for this rebate...

Rebate qualifications: "Active, Active Reserve, Retired Military, Retired Military Reserve or are an honorably discharged veteran within 12 months of your discharge date" See https://www.jeep.com/en/incentives/bonus-incentives/

Interesting fact, and for perspective... ~93% of the US population have not served in the military in any capacity...

"As of Jan. 31, 2015, there were close to 1.4 million people serving in the U.S. armed forces, according to the latest numbers from the Defense Manpower Data Center, a body of the Department of Defense. That means that 0.4 percent of the American population is active [duty] military personnel."

If you add in military retirees and veterans, you still only get to 7.3% of all living Americans have served in the military at some point in their lives.

BTW: More detailed info that may explain why there are twice the amount of Army- themed Jeep accessories (e.g. tire covers/decals) than USAF & Navy at this link... https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/what-percentage-of-americans-have-served-in-the-military/

The Marines are truly "the Few and the Proud" at only 0.8%

3.1 percent of all living Americans have served in the Army,

1.7 percent in the Navy,

1.4 percent in the Air Force and

0.8 percent in the Marines,

the remaining 0.5 percent served in either reserve or non-defense roles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the Military Discount is probably correct. Hopefully I get the True Car $1000 coupon/rebate soon!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
true car will never get you the best deal. in fact, using it guarantees that you will be overpaying substantially. not only that, but they are using inflated invoice figures to make it seem like you are making out well.

avoid

·
Registered
58 Posts
true car will never get you the best deal. in fact, using it guarantees that you will be overpaying substantially. not only that, but they are using inflated invoice figures to make it seem like you are making out well.

avoid
Interesting could you elaborate on that ?

I compared the dealer invoice price that truecar, had to my employer car buying service, KBB , carsdirect and Edmunds and it was the same. I also compared the MSRP to the dealer window sticker again the same.

I do know the true dealer cost is a bit lower since it includes holdback and perhaps some other items. Unless that is what you were referring to.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Interesting could you elaborate on that ?

I compared the dealer invoice price that truecar, had to my employer car buying service, KBB , carsdirect and Edmunds and it was the same. I also compared the MSRP to the dealer window sticker again the same.

I do know the true dealer cost is a bit lower since it includes holdback and perhaps some other items. Unless that is what you were referring to.
when I was shopping for Subarus, the true car factory invoice was higher than the invoice at the dealer by ~ $350. it wasn't just for 1 model, it was like that for both the Forester and Outback. could it have been a typo? sure. but true car itself is a scam, made to provide an illusion of getting a "fair" deal which can be achieved literally just by sending a couple of emails from your couch.

it is merely dealer advertisement as a means to funnel customers to these particular dealerships. in exchange for funneling customers, the dealerships must allow true car to tap into their sales data (hence where most of the #'s come from). if true car dealerships are giving their sales data to true car to put on their site, and these dealerships are selling cars with just "fair" pricing and not "great" or "best" pricing...you can see why true car quickly became garbage. "what others paid" just represents how high people are willing to pay for these vehicles at these specific dealerships, and doesn't account for what people are paying at non-true car dealers where people are successfully haggling. true car dealers love this, b/c it gives the customer a false sense of "getting a good deal".

the way to negotiate car buying, is to cast as wide of a net as possible (goal should be 10 dealers). send inquiries around until you get the lowest price. it will require email follow ups and back and forth. it will require using leverage like dangling that you will finance, that you will give 10's on surveys, that you will use their service dept...pull out all the stops. the goal is to find the dealership who is close to meeting a sales goal or has already met the sales goal, and is willing to sell below ACTUAL cost due to volume incentives, lump sum bonuses, and retroactive per vehicle reimbursements from the manufacturer.

if you want a quick read here is a book on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LF56VJS/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the info it very interesting. I was looking at the different prices I was told I could get at each site.

My employer car buying service uses truecar as the engine. I got very different "expected" savings if I went with the public vs the employer front end.
The rest of the info was the same. Employer site had $2600 below MSRP and public site said ~ $450 Above MSRP is what you could expect in this area.

Take that a step further. If you enter your personal data (instant call generator) on the employer site or public site, It generated a barcoded print that guaranteed some amount off of MSRP at dealer x for any Wrangler Unlimited (and listed two vehicles on the lot that matched closely to what I wanted). It wasn't the same for each dealer and varied between a few hundred to about $2100 below MSRP. I didn't run it on the public site so I don't have a comparison sorry.

I like the employer version. I actually took the coupon and went to a non TrueCar dealer with the jeep I wanted.

Funny part is I actually took that coupon to another dealer that didn't use truecar but had the jeep I wanted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a buddy that used to work for Cox Automotive which is the company that runs kbb and autotrader. You'd be surprised at how their "fair buying prices" are set and how artificially inflated the numbers truly are. MSRP essentially means nothing, the invoice price is much higher than what the dealership actually pays the car company for the car, the fair purchase price is set in conjunction with the car companies to ensure that even at that price, it's not really a great deal for you.

It's like if I had an item that I wanted to sell at my store for $14.99 but that $14.99 is MSRP and everyone likes the idea of getting a sale (even for something so cheap). So, I stick an MSRP price of $49.95 on the tag and then stick one of those orange sales tags with a handwritten number of $19.99 and stick it in the sale section of my store. You look at that in the sale section and think you're getting a huge bargain, meanwhile I'm making $5 more per item and that item is selling faster than if there was no "sale" (which I just artificially created)

Actual prices of what dealership pay to car companies to get their cars is usually 15-18% off MSRP... some places are even more if they're a big dealership that sell high volume. Most of these sites are a good way to gauge where you should start your prices from and then prepare to bargain it down way farther and pit dealership against each other for days. They all know the kbb, edmunds, truecar pricing and tend to start acting like they can't go farther than that or they'll lose money. Literally everyone is working together to create that same artificial sale scenario as in the store with the $19.99 item.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts