Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to regear from 3.21 to 4.56 and of course now is a great time to add lsd or lockers. Living in western NY limits my offroad locations so most of my wheeling consists of snow covered roads and some trails. I know that selectable lockers are the preference for offroading but with my dd usage I would prefer to add something that will benefit me when driving on snow/ice covered roads. Detroit truetracs seem like the best option to go with.

Here is my main concern: I get out of work late at night and during the winter time I take advantage of snow storms when the plows haven't been out yet and there is no other vehicles on the roads in the middle of the night. I drive very aggressively and really push the limits of my jeep when on the roads at night. I do a lot of drifting where I'm really hammering down on the throttle...this is all in 4HI. Pretty much every intersection I am drifting around corners basically getting my jeep sideways. I used to do donuts a lot when I was younger but that's not really a main concern for me, however, sometimes I will need to pull a 180 in the street so I go to 2HI and spin the ass end around...this happens often.

When it comes to adding lsd, I DO NOT want to lose these abilities on snow covered roads. Sure it would be nice to have added traction but if it hinders my fun (drifting and stuff) then I don't want em. I was at first thinking a truetrac in the rear, then thought about front and rear but I think a front lsd would work against me in these situations...maybe a rear lsd would work against me or for me. What do all the experts think? Rear only, front and rear, or just keep the diffs completely open? If just the rear, will my jeep fishtail too much in a drift?...Obviously I don't want to end up in a flat spin. Thanks WF community, you guys rock!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm guessing for the hoonigan in you, lsd's shouldn't be on your short list. Then again you could go with selectable lockers so you have open diffs for the fun stuff and lockers to get you out of trouble you just got yourself in :bop:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yeah I actually thought about that but seems like a lot of money for a "just in case" mod. I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that I NEED lockers when it's just my dd for now. Will be hitting up whispering pines offroad park in the spring but I don't think there's anything extreme enough there that would make lockers a must.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumping my own thread to see if anyone else has an answer for me.
Recap: Will Detroit TrueTracs in front and rear hinder the ability to get my jeep into a drift? I want the added traction when I need it but don't want to lose the ability to drift when I want to. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got Truetracs front and rear. Traction is awesome, so it may not be what you want. Lol
Thanks gecko. Not sure what I want to do yet but will probably go with truetrac in rear only. Wish I had $ for a selectable locker in the front but I can't justify that much coin for dd purposes...just trying to take advantage of my diffs being cracked open for the regear.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah, that's why I put one in the front too. Had to by a carrier to change from 3.21s to 4.10s, so I figured why waste the money on an open carrier. Might as well pony up a bit more and install the truetrac. Honestly, I'm glad I did. Jeep will go pretty much anywhere it's pointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts