Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Willys with hardtop is very solid and airtight with the windows closed, so much that I really need to close the doors firmly to get them shut. I came across this article today (see link) re: trunk vents. I guess the Jeep does not have these, to keep water out when going thru the deep stuff!

Piston Slap: Truncated Thoughts on Trunk Vents

·
Registered
533 Posts
JK/U's do have vents in the rear gate, behind the spare tire.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
My Willys with hardtop is very solid and airtight with the windows closed, so much that I really need to close the doors firmly to get them shut.[/url]
It's a Wrangler and not a car. Slam the doors. You won't break anything. Also, as the other person posted, there are already vents in the tailgate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
These doors are super light. It took me a while to get used to it. Every passenger I have ever had in the Jeep has not closed the door on the first try.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
These doors are super light. It took me a while to get used to it. Every passenger I have ever had in the Jeep has not closed the door on the first try.
I noticed you have to get used to closing them. It takes a bit more effort than most vehicles to close the doors. No biggie.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Wrangler and not a car. Slam the doors. You won't break anything. Also, as the other person posted, there are already vents in the tailgate.
Who said anything about breaking anything or this "Wrangler vs. car" thing"

Anyway, thanks to those who advised about the exhausters. I'm going to take a look at mine to confirm they are operating correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Who said anything about breaking anything or this "Wrangler vs. car" thing"

Anyway, thanks to those who advised about the exhausters. I'm going to take a look at mine to confirm they are operating correctly.
No one did, I just simply stated slam the doors, because Jeeps are not cars and move on.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
My Willys with hardtop is very solid and airtight with the windows closed, so much that I really need to close the doors firmly to get them shut. I came across this article today (see link) re: trunk vents. I guess the Jeep does not have these, to keep water out when going thru the deep stuff!

Piston Slap: Truncated Thoughts on Trunk Vents
The doors do close easier when at least one of the windows is open a bit, or when using the soft top. So you are correct that it is pressure spike inside from the rapid closing door that causes this issue.
My solution was to take the top off.
The down side is I now have to wear a hat as I"m becoming folically challenged... :drinks:

The total venting in the tailgate is about 1/8 the size of the door, and the door is a large flat square surface, unlike a standard car door that has a rounded shape to the window frame.
The tail gate is also low, and behind seat backs that work like a barrier to air movement. This is why it only takes a bit of window lowering to eliminate the spike, but much more tail gate venting to do the same thing.
Stationary air mass needs a kick in the arse to get moving.

So closing the door will have a pressure build up spike. There isn't a way around this with the hard top, due to the physical shape of the door, that doesn't involve cutting body metal.
As a test, just start opening the rear tailgate, until it gets to the point where the front door will close easily. That should give you an indication of the size venting you'd need to add.
Hth,

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've taught my kids to not slam the door, but to close it firmly while still pushing/pulling on it with a swift but firm motion. It is tight, yes, and I still don't get it every time if I try to slam it without my hand staying on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts