Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Sport with a rear factory Tracloc. Trying to decide what to put in the front end. Truetrac or Eaton electric locker. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
For me the choice was easy for a D30, I chose the TORQ locker. I can't see spending the big money on a TruTrac or E locker in that axle. It's cheaper and a super easy install.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
If you have time I would love to hear your reasoning.
Thnaks

The TruTrac being a mechanical Limited Slip is stronger then a Clutched Limited Slip yet not as harsh as a full locker. I am not a fan of auto lockers up front because I live in the north where we have snow 5-6 months of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I am running Trutracs in both axles in 2 Jeeps. I live in the South and we get lots of ice in the winter, with a good dose of snow. The Tru-trac has performed very well, both on the trail and road.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Wouldnt do locker in a dana 30, not really strong enough for it. That said, i have been running 37's on mine with true tracs front and rear and have nothing bad to say about the trueracs. Everytime i go wheeling, someone thinks i have lockers by how they perform. Basically, if your tires are on the ground, you will spin both tires on the axle with truetracs, yet they will be forgiving enough to not constantly break things. I have only broken one u-joint on the front axle with 37's and true tracs. What will you be doing with your wrangler most?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have a truetrac in the front of my XJ running 31's. It is my winter beater and with the AWD NP242 transfer case and truetracs front and rear, it's a beast in the snow. It does very well on moderate trails as well.

I have an e-locker in the front Dana 30 of my JK running 35's. It's been there for 6 years and 50K+ miles and is running strong. I take it on trails rated up to 8 (out of 10) here in Colorado and in Moab. No worries whatsoever about strength because I don't beat on it. I run 99% of the time with the locker off. When I've tried an obstacle a couple of times without success, I'll switch it on to get me up and over and then I turn it back off. I'm never heavy on the throttle and I never hit the rocks fast. The Jeep behaves great on the road because the differential is truly open when the locker isn't engaged. I daily drove it for 5 of the last 6 years and had no problems with it.

What's best for you? Depends on how you drive the Jeep.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a truetrac in a daily driver/moderate trail runner. It'll give you a little boost of traction when you need it without being as expensive as an e-locker. You'll be surprised at how much better you do on the trails compared to an open differential. It's a great upgrade.

If you're going to be doing more serious trails including rock crawling, I'd go with the e-locker. As you go up in difficulty, there are situations where a limited slip isn't enough and you need a locker. The extra expense is worth it for trails like that.

As far as the rear factory "Trash-Lock", you are going to want to replace it sooner or later. When (not if) it fails, you will want to upgrade. Same advice above applies to the rear as it does to the front. My XJ has TrueTracs front and rear and it's great. The JK has E-Lockers front and rear and it tackles all the trails I want to run. I wouldn't build either Jeep any other way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the great info. This is a new jeep for me and I am trying to keep it as simple and light as I can while at the same time giving me a reliable ride both on pavement and off road. Running 2.5 lift and 33 KO2.

My last Jeep was an "over build" with air lockers, front and back. I was running 37s on a 6" lift.Plus all the bells and whistles, Yes I could go anywhere off road but the jeep was way too heavy and hard to drive. Trying not to make that mistake again.

I appreciate all the input.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Trutracs, they are impressive, My brother put them in his 16 JKU WW. He stays right with me when I lock up both axles on the trail. They are great when in 4 hi in the snow, ice and slush as well. I feel that they perform even better than my Rubicon in 4 hi in the same conditions.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Trutracs, they are impressive, My brother put them in his 16 JKU WW. He stays right with me when I lock up both axles on the trail. They are great when in 4 hi in the snow, ice and slush as well. I feel that they perform even better than my Rubicon in 4 hi in the same conditions.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
For me the choice was easy for a D30, I chose the TORQ locker. I can't see spending the big money on a TruTrac or E locker in that axle. It's cheaper and a super easy install.
I’ve been thinking of going this route, but don’t know the pros and cons of these other than how they are less expensive. Work fine for winter 4hi road driving?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I’ve been thinking of going this route, but don’t know the pros and cons of these other than how they are less expensive. Work fine for winter 4hi road driving?
I would never put an automatic locker like that in the front for winter driving. Too unpredictable for snow/ice. You can get used to it but you'll hate it sooner rather than later. For winter driving I would only ever add a limited slip or selectable locker. I would rather leave the front open than have an auto locker.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
Nope, an auto locker is not for winter use. I'd stay open for winter use....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts