Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone; my son just purchased a1988 YJ with 2.5 I4 AX5 trans & 231 tc. the trans is bad and he found a new (used) trans. we dont know what it came out of but it was mounted to a bell housing with a external slave minus release fork. we decided to stay with the old bell housing which is set up with internal slave due to cost of release fork, bearing and possibly new slave and master cylinder. as we were mounting the new tranny to the old bell housing we noticed that there was so differences between the two trannys particularly the rear case.
The old transmission s/n sf8953004224 and the output shaft sticks out from the flange 7/16" the new trans s/n sf8953003385 the output shaft is flush with the flange. The old trans has 2" of teeth on output and the new has 1 1/2". The distance from the flange to the seal for the transfer case is 11/16" on the old trans and 1 3/8" on the new trans. This distance is the main concern because the trans will not seal to the t/c. Is there 2 different rear case designs on the AX5? Can the rear cases be swapped? Does anyone know?
Please help!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Im not real familiar with the AX5, but if its anything like the AX15 then yes, you will have to do some swapping to get it to fit to your 231 TC.

I believe what you change is the input shaft to the TC, Im not sure if you can swap the output shaft of the transmission. There is no reason to think you could not try though.

Try searching around Novak conversions, that is where I found a lot of good info for doing my ax15 swap.
The Jeep AX5 Transmission - Novak Conversions

Which is another thing, could it be you already have an AX15?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, you are the 1st to reply to my thread, I will look into the Novak conversation site. Thank you again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe it to be a Ax15 on either trannys I have researched it on the Novak web site in the knowledge link and everything leads me to believe they are both Ax5'S, the O.A.L. The spline teeth count both input and output, the only difference is where the seal sits in the rear case of the tranny and 1/2" in output shaft and spline tooth length.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts