Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 wrangler. It has a shakle lift , i think its 2" , the 31's on it don't rub. But i think it made the suspension firm and it jumps around alittle on the road. I think a suspension lift would ride better. I don't have plans on putting bigger tires or a higher lift, i have a hard enough time getting in it now ! I was thinking of a 2.5" lift kit , do i need to change anything else then put the lift kit on ? Thanks :wavey:

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
The ride usually isn't affected by shackles alone. If you change your springs out, your ride will be twice as firm as it is now. I'd try changing out the shocks and check your tire pressure and torque on the shackle bolts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of shocks do you recommend ? Its a dd but want to go offroad sometimes . If i was to do the 2.5" lift , would anything else besides the lift need to be done ?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
If you do the 2.5 lift and keep your shackle "fangs" (you sure they are an extra 2" shackle lift? Or 2" longer than stock, which would net 1" lift?) you would need shocks 3 1/2" or 4 1/2" longer than stock. I forget the length hole to hole of the stock shackle, but I'm sure a search on the forum would answer that question.

I have the full monty from Old Man Emu - springs, shocks, greasable shackles, steering damper, bushings and a little sticker. I know that OME shocks for the YJ's are only available for 2 1/2" of lift, so if you are keeping the longer shackles, OME is out, even though I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. My second choice would be Bilsteins, which you can get with the extra length.

Usually you see 5/8" (1 1/4" longer than stock) lift shackles or 1" (2" longer than stock) lift shackles. Before my lift I had 30" tires with no lift, and had no rubbing, which makes me think you probably have 1" lift shackles with 31's.

Longer shackles will also flatten out your springs more than they already are as well. If you are still riding the original springs, they are probably flattened out beyond having any spring life left. Read through this --http://www.4x4connection.com/tech/ometech.htm-- as it gives you a great breakdown on how the OME system is designed and you'll be able to use the info to evaluate what you have.

If you keep the shackles and add a lift spring kit, the springs will be arched correctly, will flatten some, but should greatly soften the ride. New shocks will stiffen the ride, old shocks with no absorbtion power left should leave the ride mushy ie: the springs will flex with no resistance with old shocks, and flex with resistance with new shocks. A shock absorber does exactly that...absorbs shock from potholes, prevents over extension when cresting a hill (roller coaster effect).

I wouldn't waste money on shocks if your springs are shot and flat. Think about changing shocks and springs at the same time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hey Copleydad sounds like I'm piecing together a very similar setup to yours, the shackles I currently have on are very long. I'm yet to install my leafs and was concerned as to what length shackle to get, any advice? 32inch tires, thanks I can send pics if that will help you analyze

1 - 8 of 8 Posts