Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 jeeps I'm looking at.

First 2000 I6 5sp 3 inch suspension lift 3/4 body lift 33 inch tires 115k miles full hard doors and soft top. It has upgraded audio and upgraded rear tire carrier. They corrected the speedo but I have no clue what gears are in it. I know it dogs out and takes a some effort to get it to 60 so highway would be tough which I do plenty of. Previously owned by a construction worker.

Second 1997 I5 5sp some suspension lift (very small 1-2 inch) 31 inch tires 90k miles. This one was owned by a doctor and looks immaculate on the interior. Half doors and soft top, Slightly upgraded audio, appeared to have aftermarket intake, it also has a slightly upgraded roll cage (welded in but nothing extravagant.) I know the guy changed whatever the stock gears were to 4.01 and the speedo is off.

Questions how hard is it to correct the speedo on the 1997? Both motors appear to have a "wet" (possibly oil) look on the passenger side of the motor any clue what this is? Finally another pros and cons to the years that I don't know about, what would you choose?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
From your descriptions, I would go with the 97 but it depends on your personal preference! I like the full steel doors for the winter but during the summer the half doors are awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much do they want for each jeep? Speedometer is no big deal really, the speedometer gear is easy to swap out and it's around $30 if I remember right. Here's a link on how to do it Speedo Gear Swap Post some pictures if ya can!! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I plan on buying full hard doors and a hard top as the doors are a necessity for me the top would just be for peace of mind later on. But I figured i could get the 97 then use the money saved to get doors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any clue on what is causing what looks like oil on the passenger side of the block?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's 5 minutes with the computer at the dealership to fix the speedo/tell it the new tire size.

I second the sideways oil filter that makes a mess on the right side every time it's changed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, I was thinking worse than that, like a blown head gasket that was leaking oil all over the side of the block or something like that.

Unfortunately no pics. I drove the 2000 with the bigger lift and bigger tires and everytime I hit a decent bump in the road I was all over the place. And it seemed like the back end was sliding out from underneath me all the time. So I am guessing it either needs an alignment or they messed something up while installing the lift.

Otherwise there is a slight grinding sound when shifting from first to second. It's very light you can barely hear or feel it, but it's there.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It's 5 minutes with the computer at the dealership to fix the speedo/tell it the new tire size.

I second the sideways oil filter that makes a mess on the right side every time it's changed.
The speedomenter is not adjusted in the PCM. As posted above, you have to change gears in the tail shaft.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
And I plan on buying full hard doors and a hard top as the doors are a necessity for me the top would just be for peace of mind later on. But I figured i could get the 97 then use the money saved to get doors.
The money saved probably will not cover the doors. Doors run 600 +/-. You have to find them local because they weigh a lot and shipping will kill any deal. Plus of course you likely will have to paint them and possibly have to paint or change the interior panels if they do not match. Hard top will cost around 900 +/-.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My two sense they both sound great but the 2000 is set up to the p.o.'s likings and you dont know how bad he beat that suspension off road. i would get the 97 and go from there

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most doctors are OCD. Go with the 97, it's prob seen less off road. Insurance a little cheaper, price a little cheaper, and less miles....and if it's already got 4:10s that's a big plus

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
if the 00 is all over the road then i wouldn't even consider that one no matter what. you dont want to inherit someone else problems. plus the 97 is cheaper and is closer to stock which is better in my opinion to get a stockish jeep.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
have you considered the upper glass sliders for the '97? I have those for winter for my jeep and they work great. At one time considered the full hard doors but here in Indiana, no reason to need full hard doors. Love half doors in summer time. Just another option-me I would take '97-Dr's usually OCD as mentioned by another poster-prolly why it is so clean/ lower miles-build from stock the way you want it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your opinions. I have been leaning towards the 97 since I test drove the 2000. Having my mechanic take a look at both of them today and going from there. And if changing the speedo is as easy as stated above then the 97 is probably the better bet. Now the only problem is I saw another wrangler on the way to work today. Decisions decisions...:banghead:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts