Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out which set if wires I need to tap into to have my exterior step lights to come on in conjugation with my interior lights.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You can pick up the pink/white (hot) and yellow (switched ground) at the courtesy lights under the dash and your step lights will work in conjunction with your interior lights, but just remember, that when you turn your interior lights on with the switch, your step lights will also come on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it, I would've bet money I had polarity right. I just flipped the pair on the wires and boom, light. It's cool too cuz it fades out with the interior lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I just replaced the stock flasher with one for leds and I got no signal or hazard. I put in the original one that was just working and still nothing. Checked the ten amp fuse under glove box and is still good. Maybe I should start a thread called Nate's busted ass jeep.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Now I just replaced the stock flasher with one for leds and I got no signal or hazard. I put in the original one that was just working and still nothing. Checked the ten amp fuse under glove box and is still good. Maybe I should start a thread called Nate's busted ass jeep.
Or "Nate's Guide to Automotive Wiring"....:rofl:

What year is your Jeep? Did you replace your front turn signal, parking, and side marker and side marker lights with led's also?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And all those were working but with hyper flash. I took apart everything on the dash for wiring up a bunch of off road lights all in independent switches and power. I put the new flasher relay in and nothing. Just got back from autozone with a flasher that's led compatible and still nothing

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Or "Nate's Guide to Automotive Wiring"....:rofl:

What year is your Jeep?

Did you replace your front turn signal - no parking, and side marker lights with led's also - yes
Tail lights as well
If you used a two wire led in place of the side marker/turn signal bulb in the fender flare, it won't work like the original (without a diode/resistor mod) because the circuit to that lamp uses a floating ground that grounds each of those functions through the opposite filament in the front fender lamp. In other words, neither of the wires that go the the side lamp is actually a ground wire. One is turn signal, and the other is side marker light power.

Your options are: use the side marker wire to the led+, and ground the - to the body. This will give you a side marker light, but no turn signal on the flare, or

Use the turn signal wire to the led+, and ground the - to the body. This will give you a turn signal on the flare, but no side marker, or

Do the diode/resistor mod by obtaining the following parts at your local Radio Shack and following the diagram. I housed the one I did in a little piece of plastic tubing to protect it...make sure all bare connections are soldered and taped or heat shrunk.

Jeep LED Front Marker/Turn Signal Light Modification Parts List

Radio Shack Numbers (quantity enough for two harnesses)

4 Rectifier Diodes #IN4004
2 560 Ohm ½ watt Resistors #271-1116
3 Colors 18 gauge wire
Solder
Heat shrink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts