Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on JF but didn't get a solution.

I've been working on this 3 days too long. Trying to remove the ac clutch to replace a dry bearing on the ac pulley. The fan, shroud, and rad are out.
I've removed the center bolt, per the fsm it's supposed to slide right off. I've talked nice to it, pryed, tapped, soaked with pb, heated, beat, pryed more, beat more, and cursed it more than a sailor.... it's a lot uglier but hasn't budged a bit.*

Any suggestions?

before the suggestions start.... I have Zero interest in removing and/or replacing the entire compressor because someone found it for $x.

The compressor I have is a 10pa17e. There are no pullers made for this clutch, because it supposed to slide right off.
At this point I'll probably have to replace the clutch and pulley because it's beat up pretty good if I can get it apart.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'd just go ahead and replace the whole compressor. Makes no sense to take a old part that you have beat up and then put it back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd just go ahead and replace the whole compressor. Makes no sense to take a old part that you have beat up and then put it back on.
I'll be replacing the clutch, pulley, and bearing, no old parts are going back on.
Replacing what's bad is a $100 job, replacing a bunch of parts that are in working order makes it a $400-$600 job. Why waste money replacing parts that aren't bad?

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
No the bolt you removed goes to deeper threads that are M5 meaning OD just under 5mm or .2055 but it first passes thru without engaging the hub threads that are M6 or just under 6 mm .2362"

So by threading in and tightening a M6 bolt that engages the hub rather than the shaft threads you push off the hub as you tighten the M6 bolt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the bolt you removed goes to deeper threads that are M5 meaning OD just under 5mm or .2055 but it first passes thru without engaging the hub threads that are M6 or just under 6 mm .2362"

So by threading in and tightening a M6 bolt that engages the hub rather than the shaft threads you push off the hub as you tighten the M6 bolt
M8x1.25 bolt did the trick, walked it right off, now I feel like an idiot.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Glad it worked out sorry I had wrong bolt sizes but if all the puller you need is a bolt makes since no one makes a dedicated puller

1 - 9 of 9 Posts