Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warm weather is right around the corner and I would like to get some tube half doors. I need something that will keep my lunch box from sliding off the seat and falling out the door on a corner, so I prefer something with a couple of cross braces or netting, etc. Also something beefier looking, like maybe larger diameter tubing.
I have seen the Olympic ones and they seem high priced for just the basics. I would probably weld in a couple of bars or flat stock to suit my wants and needs.
The Off Road Fab ones look pretty beefy and good, but are pricey for what you get.
A guy on jeep-classifieds.com has some different ones with a spider web patern welded in, but they are in the $250 range, plus shipping. I like them but the price is too high for what you get.
Does anyone know of any others at a decent price? Maybe about $100 for a basic one. I wouldn't mind having to weld a couple of bars in something if the initial cost was low enough. Or under $200 would be OK for a more beefy or fancy one with pads, netting, or cross bars. I tend to like things that are a little different than what everyone else has. But I don't want something ugly, or weird. Just different but cool.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Im in the same boat as you... for what ya get.. there just to much money IMHO. im going to make some this spring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First of all you should put your lunch box on the floor of the jeep and not worry about doors:) I love driving without doors.... I was also looking for the tubular doors for sometime... all that I found was cheesy and over priced!! If you have the ability make them, I suggest you do so and when you do make an extra set for me:D

Frank

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder if it's like the UL listing we have to pay for on fire rated doors (commercial bldg.) You can't supply them without paying UL to test your doors and for the license and the sticker. It's a complete ripoff. I'm thinking the bars have to be crash tested and approved for a mfg. to put them on the highway. Get a good look at them somewhere and make your own or like Fapple says go without. Just hope nobody ever T-bones you in an intersection or your insurance co might deny the claim, or worse you could be skewered like a shishkabob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fapple said:
First of all you should put your lunch box on the floor of the jeep and not worry about doors:)
That's no good, I wouldn't be able to eat half of my lunch on the way to work. But then agin, it might be a good way to lose some weight.

Fable said:
I love driving without doors.... I was also looking for the tubular doors for sometime... all that I found was cheesy and over priced!! If you have the ability make them, I suggest you do so and when you do make an extra set for me:D
Frank
About 22 years ago I worked in a welding/fabrication shop. We had a madral tube bender, brakes, presses, welders, everything. If I still worked there (can't go there now, they have been out of business for 10 years) I would make a LOT of Jeep things you see in the catalogs and sell them for half of what they charge.
But all I have now is a welder in my garage. I think the tube doors should have nice bends and not squared off corners from welding straight pipe together. So I can't make my own. But as I said before, I wouldn't mind welding in some flat strap or tubes to beef them up and help keep grocery bags, etc inside the cab. But I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on something that I have to modify and repaint.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Safari Doors are $170. The problem is that they want $70 for netting. They're cheaper that O-R Fab. Maybe you can use them as a starting point and weld on to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts