Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about swapping out my Warn ceM8000 steel winch cable to synthetic. Shopping around I see that I can spend almost as much as I paid for the winch($350) for the rope.

I have a Tuff Stuff front winch bumper and think it was a decent deal. They carry Deema 12 strand winch line....does anybody have it?

Here it is on their site:
Blue 92′ X 5/16″ Synthetic Dyneema Winch Rope Cable With Black Hook & Rock Guard - Tuff Stuff 4x4 | Tuff Stuff Winches, Lighting and Off Road Accessories

It's a bit cheaper on fleabay...$140 shipped.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody?...................guess I'll be the Guniea Pig............

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
You will need to change out your fairlead for one designed for synthetic. Once you take the steel line off check the sides and roller portion of the drum for sharp edges...file or buff them down. Take some cotton balls and run them against the drum as you run the winch BOTH ways. If you have a snatch block the was used with the steel line that will also need to be inspected.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thicker is stronger. Like I said, most will recommend 3/8".
I hear ya....I was leaning towards the 3/8, but worried it won't fit on the drum.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I hear ya....I was leaning towards the 3/8, but worried it won't fit on the drum.
I have about 95 feet of 3/8" on my Warn XD9000. I suspect that our drums are very similar.

I also bought my rope in bulk and spliced on the thimble myself.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...3/8ths it is.

It's firewood time and I have a bunch of dead ash trees to drop/move/buck/split. I'll use the new Syn rope and post up my review.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts