Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about putting one of these in the back of my JKU. Kinda pricey, so thought I would solicit some opinions.

If Tuffy's products are anything like their marketing department I may pass. I like to think I am a little smarter than the average bear, but their product descriptions and trying to figure out what is what, made me think that maybe one of my oars wasn't touching the water. FINALLY figured out #275 is what I am looking for, thanks to a Youtube review.

Any regrets, recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Installed a 275. No problems. Like having the upper storage area and the locked lower area. I installed led lights wired to the dome light. Indoor/outdoor carpet on top and tie downs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Top with carpet and tie downs.
I like the carpet and tie downs. Saw they wanted like $60 for a mat and thought there had to be a less expensive way to accomplish the same thing and maybe even make it look better. Yours looks great and betting it was a lot less than $60. You just bought some tie downs and drilled and mounted them on the lid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That lid does tip up and out through the rear seats doesn't it? Then just take the front panel off, and you essentially have your entire storage back, with the exception of the brackets on the sides that hold the front piece?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
That lid does tip up and out through the rear seats doesn't it? Then just take the front panel off, and you essentially have your entire storage back, with the exception of the brackets on the sides that hold the front piece?
Yes to the tie downs. Just drilled through the carpet and lid. Holds the carpet down also. The lid lifts up and back to remove. I was going to add wing nuts to back wall to make it quicker.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I love my 275. Recovery gear is out of sight, top is perfect for my kids skateboards or the groceries. I can also tie down my cooler to it.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Regrets?
Not really.

I do wish a few things were different.

1. There is a less expensive version where the lower panel is secure to holes in the bed of the Jeep with screws. I wish the 275 did that.

2. I wish it would have cost less.

3. I wish hey would have either covered up the nuts on the brackets or used some type of security nut.

4. I wish it would have come with tie downs like the cheaper version (yes, I could add them for a few bucks, but I'm lazy).

With that said, I love having it. I had to grab an escrow check for a couple of grand yesterday at lunch. I just threw it in the cubby in the back of my Jeep and set the alarm. No worries...it was pretty damn safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Tuffy is just too tough for me. I am waiting for my GPCA trunk cargo cover. Looks like a easy solution for my messy trunk. :) Preordered one here: www.gpca.us. Early bird special!! It is totally within my budget!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had it on my 08 and was the first thing I bought for the 14...can't imagine not having it.
Glowing endorsements!

Thanks all. I'll fire up the search engine and find the best place to order one that is in stock. I like the carpet and tie down idea too. Indoor/Outdoor carpet gives me a lot more color/fabric choices than the $60/mat and can I make that mat match the inside of the Jeep. Even if ends up being just black.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ordered the 299-01 (the cheaper version) yesterday and 4WheelParts.com had the cheapest price by far. It was $268.99 and most other online retailers wanted $290 or higher. I found a $10 off $150 or more discount code to use, plus the shipping was free.

·
Registered
151 Posts
love mine. it makes the back 100% secure. even if you rip out the rear seats, you cant get into the back. im not sure what the weight max is on the lid, but my 35lb son got on it with no problems

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'd say my only complaint is I dont have access the the back seat area anymore. That is, i'd have to remove the security deck to take advantage of a flopped / removed seat.

It really hasnt been a great hindrance yet, I manage to find work arounds. Not sure how hard it would be to remove the seat, but i'm guessing it would require removal of the security trunk.

its worth a little comfort knowing this gives me a semi secure area thats a deterrent to 'snatch and grab'. I have hesitated putting tie-downs on the top because it may be possible for someone to grab them and use them to lift the top?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I added the tuffy because I went with half doors and a soft top on this Jeep, so it seemed like a good idea for secure storage and I wanted a place to keep my gear from blowing out of the Jeep.

It does the job, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Would I buy the Tuffy again, yes. Do I wish someone would engineer a better product, YES.
While the Tuffy is secure, someone with a one box end could open it up without a lot of hassle or time. It just seems poorly engineered overall (especially for the price)

I used some gasket material between the tub bracket and the Tuffy mounting brackets to keep the brackets from scuffing/removing the Jeep paint. I also added some FatMax sound deadener because I get some vibrations with the Alpine Sub.

There is a different security deck that is diamond plate material (not the Aries). It looked a little better to me, but it cost more than the Tuffy. Someone here did a really great writeup. If I remember the user has a blue Willys.

I also have the security console and really like that product. It is great for stashing a phone, wallet, gun, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting the 275 also, sometime before soft top season. Still have to buy a soft top too, so those two things together are going to hurt my wallet!

I had the Tuffy security console in my old YJ and loved it. It was a great product, and also pricey, but I wouldn't be afraid to give them my money again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Spent a lot of time doing research, settled on the 275 and haven't looked back. Added a cheap piece of outdoor carpet to the top, getting tie-downs this weekend. I have no regrets, and am very happy with the construction and piece of mind it'll offer this summer when the top comes off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts