Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Tuffy Security products underseat drawer for my JKU, both driver & passenger side. After research I have an option - I can buy them at $109 ea on Amazon with free shipping, but they won't use the same key. Or I can buy them on the Tuffy website for $119 ea, +$19 for key alike service, and the cheapest shipping they offer is $31 fedex ground.

$288 for them keyed alike, $218 for them not - pretty ridiculous if you ask me, and a no brainer - I'll save the $70 and just have different keys. You'd think that Tuffy would want to make more by selling direct for the same price, instead of paying a middle man.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As you've seen, there are quite a few opportunities to get the best price on the lockboxes AND get them keyed alike.
When purchasing two units, you only need to replace/match the lock on ONE unit. The key-alike charge simply covers the time and effort to:

• unpackage and remove the drawer
  • disassemble the locking system and install the new lock
  • repackage the unit
An option to get the best price is to purchase the units from your dealer (or a dealer here on WranglerForum?) and just order one extra camlock that matches one of the boxes. (Tuffy part #101 - around $9-10) Just change the lock out yourself, you've saved money, and you're good to go!

We, as the manufacturer, try not to compete with our dealers price-wise, which is why our pricing is a little higher on average.
Ultimately, we want you to have the most secure lockboxes for your Jeep and nobody does it better!

Eric
Tuffy Security Products
www.tuffyproducts.com

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I have Tuffy boxes under each seat and yes have two keys. I really dont see it as a big deal, maybe initially but in day to day life just didn't turn out to be a big deal.
Great boxes, No Rattle at all. I lined mine and put a small block of rubber mat under each in the rear.
I stow my guns and ammo as well as valuables when/if needed.
Now if I can remember where I put the extra keys :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
A lock smith may could do the same key mod cheaper than $70.
It is stupid to have to pay that much more.
BTW, I only the drivers side but I really love mine. Great products!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response Eric, wasn't expecting one. I hadn't thought of simply buying a new camlock to match one of them - I appreciate the suggestion and will go that route.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the response Eric, wasn't expecting one. I hadn't thought of simply buying a new camlock to match one of them - I appreciate the suggestion and will go that route.
No worries! I know it can get a bit confusing as to exactly HOW you can get things keyed-alike and lighten that keychain! We use about 100 different lock and key sets for security, so a production run of 300 units will be extremely random and you know you and your neighbor won't share a key. Ask the copycat lockbox makers how many locksets they use! :locked:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kudos to Tuffy....I wish every manufacturer (not just lock boxes) would have a strong presence on forums/social media to hear from the customer. Keep up the good work! When I'm in the market for a lock box, I have no doubt which route I'll go...Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Kudos to Tuffy....I wish every manufacturer (not just lock boxes) would have a strong presence on forums/social media to hear from the customer. Keep up the good work! When I'm in the market for a lock box, I have no doubt which route I'll go...Thanks!
It appears to be heading that way. Most of the large manufacturers are starting to really ramp up online presences. Props to Tuffy here for that recommendation.

Hail Southern.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You might also consider getting the combination lock they sell for one of the boxes. Though it can be a bit tedious to see the numbers under the seat....

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the bestop under seat storage for driver and passenger in my '15 JKUR. They were about $60 each from amazon and work great. I also have the tuffy hood lock which also works great. I'd rather not find my hood open and everything stripped out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts