Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input from anyone familiar with an install of the Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure (2dr) with the Bestop Trektop NX.

2012 JK Rubicon 2dr.

My problem: I can't get the Bestop tailgate bar clips to engage on the front-facing side of the tailgate with the Tuffy tailgate enclosure in place... there isn't enough space to rotate them down so they hook before they hit the tailgate. Tuffy makes a product to aid with Bestop soft tops, but it just makes the fitment problem worse for me (I can see it would help in removing the clips once they and the tailgate enclosure are installed, however). If I install the clips first, I can't get the tailgate enclosure to fit below them.

I have read that the OEM tailgate bar/clips are much better than those supplied by Bestop, but honestly they look identical to me from the photo.

Anyone familiar with this setup who can offer advice?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears Tuffy has changed their design to match the OEM clips, which is part of what confused me. That said, there was no way it was going to fit so I ended up trimming/grinding a good 1.5" off both corners (next to the roll cage) of the Tuffy tailgate cover to make it fit.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
It appears Tuffy has changed their design to match the OEM clips, which is part of what confused me. That said, there was no way it was going to fit so I ended up trimming/grinding a good 1.5" off both corners (next to the roll cage) of the Tuffy tailgate cover to make it fit.
Can you post pics?
I'm a bit lost as to what needs trimmed. I'm thinking of picking up a Trektop NX.

Thanks

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Just ordered my Trektop NX

Got it for $557.15 shipped...so I guess I'll find out this sping. If it does not fit...I'll probably be selling it on CG soon. Some people have been able to make them fit without trimming on other forums...so who knows. Plus I have a Spiderwebshade that may or may not fit as well. First world problems.

I missed out on a great deal because I was tired and lazy a few weeks ago.

Someone had a 2012 still-in-box factory softop on sale for $550 on Craigslist, and I was too lazy to go get it. (Called them, but didn't feel like driving into the city). Then somenone else had a 1 year old soft-top for $400...but it was sold within an hour of posting.

Trektop it is...

Next up...a hoist

1 - 6 of 6 Posts