Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Tuffy Security Enclosure or similar, and a question popped in my head. It is likely a dumb question about a Jeep feature that I should realize exists.

So, the security enclosure uses the tailgate to seal the box. What stops someone from unlocking your doors from the inside if your top is down or they break the windows?

·
Registered
249 Posts
What stops someone from unlocking your doors from the inside if your top is down or they break the windows?
not a damn thing. the tuffy security deck i believe has a bulkhead to it so its sealed on both ends with the tailgate shut. a determined thief will get what their after regardless of what measures you take. the only good thing is most thieves are dumb

·
Registered
327 Posts
So, the security enclosure uses the tailgate to seal the box. What stops someone from unlocking your doors from the inside if your top is down or they break the windows?
Jeep designers thought this one out. A short period (I believe the number is 10 seconds) after you activate the security system with the key fob, automatic locks are disabled *UNLESS* the security system is deactivated. SO, if you lock the doors with the fob, a thief could not unzip (or break) the window and unlock the tailgate with the lock switches inside.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Jeep designers thought this one out. A short period (I believe the number is 10 seconds) after you activate the security system with the key fob, automatic locks are disabled *UNLESS* the security system is deactivated. SO, if you lock the doors with the fob, a thief could not unzip (or break) the window and unlock the tailgate with the lock switches inside.
I think it is 17 seconds, maybe 15 seconds, but yes, if you use the FOB the rear gate stays locked.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Keep in mind that when you do this doorless, you still need to "unlock" the jeep with the fob when you return or the alarm goes off when the key is inserted in the ignition. That's the case on my '13 anyway.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have read that some guys disconnect the power lock on the tailgate and just use the key.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I figured it was something built into the Jeep, but I was having trouble finding info. I tested it out, and it is around 12 or 15 seconds. You can tell when it is secured because the alarm indicator pulses slower than when you first lock up with the key fob.

I will also keep in mind the idea of just disconnecting the tailgate from the power locks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts