Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Tuffy under seat lock box from Qtec today.
Two questions... is there supposed to be a "drawer pull" on the front of the box? There is none.
2nd, the box has no bottom. I have a Bestop unit that I am swapping to my wife's Jeep and it has a 5 sided box w/ the drawer inside (drawer face in the 6th side). The Tuffy box has no bottom (4 sides and the drawer face as the 5th).... Is this normal? This does not seem as secure.
This is for the passenger side on my 2015 JKU.
Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I received my Tuffy under seat lock box from Qtec today.
Two questions... is there supposed to be a "drawer pull" on the front of the box? There is none.
2nd, the box has no bottom. I have a Bestop unit that I am swapping to my wife's Jeep and it has a 5 sided box w/ the drawer inside (drawer face in the 6th side). The Tuffy box has no bottom (4 sides and the drawer face as the 5th).... Is this normal? This does not seem as secure.
This is for the passenger side on my 2015 JKU.
Thanks.
I have one too. No handle but the casing that the drawer slides in DOES have a bottom. To pull it out I just use my key ring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The lack of handle may have to do w/ there being a spring at the back that "pops" the drawer forward... not sure if this is a new feature or if I got a factory reject... the no bottom thing has me more concerned. I have contacted Tuffy and Qtec. We will see what they say tomorrow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks guys. The lack of handle may have to do w/ there being a spring at the back that "pops" the drawer forward... not sure if this is a new feature or if I got a factory reject... the no bottom thing has me more concerned. I have contacted Tuffy and Qtec. We will see what they say tomorrow.
I don't have a spring. I have to pull mine out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Mine pulls out and I have a handle. I do remember when looking at the instructions, I believe there is a spring loaded model. When you unlock the drawer does the lock pop out like a button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine pulls out and I have a handle. I do remember when looking at the instructions, I believe there is a spring loaded model. When you unlock the drawer does the lock pop out like a button?

No the lock does not pop out like a button. The is a large spring attached to the end of the drawer. It pushes the drawer out when you unlock it.

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
No the lock does not pop out like a button. The is a large spring attached to the end of the drawer. It pushes the drawer out when you unlock it.

The Qtec site is showing the handle. Maybe it's a new design.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Qtec site is showing the handle. Maybe it's a new design.

Ya, I'm not so worried about the no handle since the spring pushes the drawer open upon unlocking it. The no bottom to the box is a bit concerning.
The description mentions the drawer being weather sealed, or some such language. I find it difficult to believe if there is no bottom. I guess I will find out tomorrow.
I was hoping someone who received one very recently would chime in. Like you said "new design"?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The drivers side box has a handle and no spring, the passenger's side has no handle, but a spring. No idea why.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The drivers side box has a handle and no spring, the passenger's side has no handle, but a spring. No idea why.

Mark

Thanks for that info... Assuming you have one... does it have a bottom to the box that contains the drawer?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I couldn't remember, so I just checked: Neither side has a bottom. I they did, there'd be no way to get to the back bolt.

Mark

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't remember, so I just checked: Neither side has a bottom. I they did, there'd be no way to get to the back bolt.

Mark

Interesting that the others said theirs had bottoms.:confused:
Thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Interesting that the others said theirs had bottoms.:confused:
Thanks for looking.

I think they mean by bottom, the drawer has a bottom. The frame does not.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they mean by bottom, the drawer has a bottom. The frame does not.

Maybe my description wasn't so good. Yes the drawer itself has a bottom. The box that holds the drawer has no bottom on the Tuffy unit. The Bestop unit has complete box around the drawer.
That being said, the drawer seems bigger and moves smoother on the Tuffy unit.
The drawer does seem to want to close though when I'd rather it stay open.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Maybe my description wasn't so good. Yes the drawer itself has a bottom. The box that holds the drawer has no bottom on the Tuffy unit. The Bestop unit has complete box around the drawer.

That being said, the drawer seems bigger and moves smoother on the Tuffy unit.

The drawer does seem to want to close though when I'd rather it stay open.

I think the Tuffy pulls out all the way, too. Bestop drawer is a bargain though

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I just installed one in my 2015 JKUR a couple of weeks back. Got it from Qtec, Tuffy part# 247-01. It has the finger handle and it does have a bottom. This is the one that goes under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just installed one in my 2015 JKUR a couple of weeks back. Got it from Qtec, Tuffy part# 247-01. It has the finger handle and it does have a bottom. This is the one that goes under the drivers seat.
Bottom as in the container that encases the drawer has a bottom? This is certainty getting interesting.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

Mark

This. I bought both a few weeks ago from Qtec and this is how they were for me.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts