Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TJ with a 4.0. Looking to possibly do a complete tune-up myself. Not sure if the PO did any tune up on the vehicle ever. Wondering what I should get to do the job. I have read some threads about certain tune up kits? Also don't know if there any specific parts that are better than others when doing this, spark plugs, wires, etc.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
What year and model is the TJ?
X2. Mainly, is it a 2002 or older or a 2003 or newer? Big differences in how they are tuned up and what spark plugs work well and more importantly, which ones don't in the much fussier 2003 and newer model 4.0. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
2004 Rubicon
Same as me, that's in the fussier-about-sparkplugs model year range.

Three good solid plug recommendations for you.

Platinum-tipped which will perform well for 100k miles:
-Autolite APP985 (not AP985!!!)
-Champion 7034 (not 3034!!!)

Iridium-tipped, which will perform well for 200k miles:
-Autolite XP-985 which is what I run.

Your 2004 doesn't have a distributor cap so it doesn't use or need new ignition wiring, distributor cap, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same as me, that's in the fussier-about-sparkplugs model year range.

Three good solid plug recommendations for you.

Platinum-tipped which will perform well for 100k miles:
-Autolite APP985 (not AP985!!!)
-Champion 7034 (not 3034!!!)

Iridium-tipped, which will perform well for 200k miles:
-Autolite XP-985 which is what I run.

Your 2004 doesn't have a distributor cap so it doesn't use or need new ignition wiring, distributor cap, etc.
Ok Awesome, so I have about 104,000 miles on it so what do you recommend.

I have also read to do a new fuel filter. To do the distributor cap and rotor (you said this model doesn't have that). To do the spark plugs and wires. New air filter and pcv valve.

Sorry I am not the most mechanically savy person, trying to learn. My dad is a mechanic and I have a mechanic where I live that I go to for repairs. Where do you stand on everything on that list?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Ok Awesome, so I have about 104,000 miles on it so what do you recommend.

I have also read to do a new fuel filter. To do the distributor cap and rotor (you said this model doesn't have that). To do the spark plugs and wires. New air filter and pcv valve.

Sorry I am not the most mechanically savvy person, trying to learn. My dad is a mechanic and I have a mechanic where I live that I go to for repairs. Where do you stand on everything on that list?
You'd have to drop the gas tank to get to the fuel filter which lives inside the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel filter was designed to be good for the life of the Jeep, it has a very large surface area. I've changed a lot of fuel filters in my 55 years of driving but easily replaced fuel filters are getting rare.

There's no PCV valve either, it just has "positive crankcase ventilation"... but no actual valve to be replaced.

A new AC-Delco air filter would be a great thing to install, it flows air extremely well and it ranked #1 in a lab test of air filters. K&N's overhyped air filters came in dead last.

Nope, your engine has no distributor, no distributor cap, and no ignition wiring. Those days are long-gone. :)

Here's a pic of me holding the TJ's fuel pressure regulator that has the fuel filter located inside. Yep, ya gotta drop the gas tank to get to it. Not needed. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Tune-ups have changed a bit. No cap & rotors, no points, no wires.

For you - plugs and air filter. Before going shopping, check your belts and hoses.
If you just have that itch to do something, then add wipers and get a new green tree.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts