Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. I have read to death the threads on the running temps for the 3.6L I don't need any more info than this... Is there currently a tuner that will successfully adjust the temp at which the cooling fan comes on for a 2014 JKU ?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hptuner. Nothing from Superchips will work, no matter what they tell you, or what you see in the menu after wasting your money.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
886 Posts
I really wish there was a way to connect the factory cooling fan to a switch so you can turn it on and off at will.
This is in fact impossible to accomplish, right???

·
Registered
148 Posts
I really wish there was a way to connect the factory cooling fan to a switch so you can turn it on and off at will.
This is in fact impossible to accomplish, right???
Sure it's possible. There are a few people that have done it, so if you google it, you can find some good information. You can also buy thermo switches that turn a fan on when a certain temp is reached, and then shuts off when a minimum temp is reached.

I would definitely like to run a 185* thermostat and turn the fans sooner. I hit 240* degrees when doing some wheeling in New Mexico. That's insane to me! I know they probably made the motor run hotter to improve fuel economy, but I don't like it. My LS1 camaro never get hotter than 190 degrees..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can confirm it works. I have a 2015 and did a ECM swap. Put in a 185 thermostat and set my fans to 195. Runs all day average at 192
Thanks, I have an email in to them to see if I have to do the ECM swap on a 2014. Can you tell me which Diablo unit you are using? Trinity?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hptuner. Nothing from Superchips will work, no matter what they tell you, or what you see in the menu after wasting your money.

Mark

I have confirmed with HP Tuner. I like their package, and will probably go with them. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Thanks, I have an email in to them to see if I have to do the ECM swap on a 2014. Can you tell me which Diablo unit you are using? Trinity?
No need to swap the ECM on a '14. They aren't encrypted.

Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Mark

Hey Scalded, I saw your post in the forum at HPTuner. I currently have a SC Flashpaq, running 87 octane tune, and tires/gears. Did you use HPTuners? Did you have to reset to stock before using HPTuner, or was it able to extract the tune, and rewrite it as it was?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the I2 and with a 2014 you won’t need a new ECM...
So, with the I2, you were able to swap the thermostat and set the fan with no problems? How about performance? Have you noticed any changes in mpg, or power since doing this?

I'm flat out amazed that Jeep would run these engines at the temps that they do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So, with the I2, you were able to swap the thermostat and set the fan with no problems? How about performance? Have you noticed any changes in mpg, or power since doing this?

I'm flat out amazed that Jeep would run these engines at the temps that they do.
I installed the 91 octane tune and it feels ‘faster’, overall performance seems better. I also have a CAI and mangaflow exhaust and it’s all seems to work better. Feels more responsive..our Jeeps are really ever going to be fast, but it was worth if for me with just running cooler. Doesn’t throw any errors or check engine lights
My Jeep only seems to get 16mph regardless of how I drive. But it’s lifted and I run 35” tires. 4:10 gearing and automatic. I know technically they are supposed to run that warm- but mine would go up to 227 on the trail. I’m old school I guess but concern with temps that high and long term damage...Now like I said it never goes above 192 on a 100 degree day in heavy stop and go traffic

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the 91 octane tune and it feels ‘faster’, overall performance seems better. I also have a CAI and mangaflow exhaust and it’s all seems to work better. Feels more responsive..our Jeeps are really ever going to be fast, but it was worth if for me with just running cooler. Doesn’t throw any errors or check engine lights
My Jeep only seems to get 16mph regardless of how I drive. But it’s lifted and I run 35” tires. 4:10 gearing and automatic. I know technically they are supposed to run that warm- but mine would go up to 227 on the trail. I’m old school I guess but concern with temps that high and long term damage...Now like I said it never goes above 192 on a 100 degree day in heavy stop and go traffic
I'm running a 4' lift w/ 35's, & 4.10's too. I was just more concerned that maybe there was a loss of power or performance with the lower temps. I'm running heavy with bumpers, winch, spare, and gas cans, not to mention all off the extra gear when taking a trip. Last mont on the trails as well as on the interstate with a headwind, I was seeing temps up to 250. I'm going to swap out for 4.56 gears next week, but I want to run a lower temp thermostat, and get in to the range you are seeing with yours. Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts