Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
New Member to the forum but i thought i would share my 2.4l turbocharged build with you guys. 2.4l threads seem to be scares here but i want to document the build and answer any questions about it etc. Feel free to add any comments or questions!!

Here is my TJ:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The little SE that could

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specs on my jeep:

- 2005 Wrangler SE
- 2.4l "Powertech" Engine
- 2.5" Suspension lift
- 32x11.5" Mudstar Tires
- 15" American Racing Wheels
- SRC Tubular Front bumper
- Rugged Ridge 8000lb winch
- Tubuar Rock Sliders

- Many other modifications let me know if you wan to know what something is

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Its also has the 6 speed NSG370

I have seen a few turbo 2.4s done a couple of times.. done my research, saved up a few bucks and its time to get it done. Just as a background on myself, Im 20 years old and work as a professional fabricator in a performance shop. Ive built numerous cars including a few dominant street cars of my own. I picked up this jeep when i was 15 after looking for 2 years to find something clean and rust free.

This has been my daily driver. As we all know the 2.4L lacks some serious power. Especially after a lift and tires. I have been eyeing this build for a while and im in full swing now. Let me know what you guys think as i post what ive been up too so far.

Who else has a 2.4l out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen a few guys run a PT cruiser Gt manifold/ turbo and use a piece to flip the flange over and re clock to allow clearance for the turbo. I thought about going this route but i ended up having a new t28 turbo laying around that is perfect for what i am looking to do. I want to add just enough power to pull up hills and giddy up when accelerating. This means a fast spool to get that power down low. I decided to go a custom route to get the best reliability and ease to service. I also set a goal of $1000 or less with minimal shortcuts to get this completed.

The first thing i did was try to find a flange. After a little searching i was able to find a SRT-4 flange for $40 shipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im keeping a spread sheet of exactly what i purchase for the kit and how much and will post it when im done to show every fitting and part needed to get this completed as a reference.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There are a few of us out here with the 2,4. Mine has been all over 3 states, and is used mostly in our high desert area where I live. I JUST finished putting a complyely NEW reman engine in mine, and what a battle. Not too many remans out there, and was quite expensive. Mine is also the 6 speed manual, and since i do NOT have any lift, ( as it is my daily driver), I have the 31x10.5x15 BFG KO's on her.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: gsindela

·
Registered
89 Posts
First thing to address was removing the A/C compressor and components. Mine never worked anyway due to an evaporator leak behind the dash. Its amazing how much space this frees up.

I couldn't find any threads on how to do this but figured it out pretty quickly. After removing the A/C components your serpintine belt is too long. The only two parts you need for the conversion are a NON A/C idler pulley and the shorter serpintine belt for a NON A/C 2.4l You can find both at advance auto parts.

The idler pulley bolts into the upper left open hole in the casting. I had to clean up the threads in mine because they only looked half tapped. It is the same thread as the other idler pulleys. I pulled the bolt out of the other pulley to match the threads.

Two Parts Needed:

1) CARQUEST by Dayco Idler Pulley (Part #89013) $16.99
2) CARQUEST by Dayco Poly Rib Belt, Premium (Part #5060850) $32.00

Total Cost: $48.99

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After removing the A/C, I began building the manifold. I decided to build a Log style manifold to keep it simple and compact but still flow great. Ive made I ordered two 90 degree bends and three "T" bends all 1.5" schedule 10, 304 SS. Cut and massaged to match the oval ports then welded it together. Pics below show what i did.

All in all the manifold cost me about $110 in materials

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the process of doing this on my tj. Did you have to add a fuel management system? If so what did you use? If not how did you get around using one?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Subscribed. Always wanted to do this to mine.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts