Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Jeep lovers who has a Turbo charged 4.0 lets here the details good and bad. I am considering this mod on a 2005 TJ 4.0 I also have to have emissions so I need to leave the cat in place. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings?

·
Registered
280 Posts
yeah they make one and they average about $2500 to about $4000 depending on the maker of them...
Me personal I have no experience with it, but a friend has and he likes it, it gives you more horse and torgue without affecting your emissions, but they can a bit of a maintence issue for some... hope this helps

Wolf

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
yeah they make one and they average about $2500 to about $4000 depending on the maker of them...
Me personal I have no experience with it, but a friend has and he likes it, it gives you more horse and torgue without affecting your emissions, but they can a bit of a maintence issue for some... hope this helps

Wolf
anything that requires added fuel to compensate for increased air flow (like a turbo) affects emissions. a properly tuned turbo setup should still have no problems passing emissions tests, though.

it's not something to enter into lightly. first and foremost, your engine must be in good working order. you WILL need to run premium gas if you want your engine to stay healthy. turbos generate a lot of underhood heat, so you'll want to check all the plastic and rubber bits (specifically vacuum lines and fittings) under the hood to make sure they're in good shape. you will need to upgrade your fuel system, but a good turbo kit should come with what you need to do that. transmission wise, you may want to consider a stronger clutch for a manual or a better converter and a shift kit for an automatic. not required, but they will help harness the new power.
if you plan to put a turbo on a otherwise stock engine, you will want to limit the amount of boost you run to keep your engine alive.
you will also want to have your setup CUSTOM TUNED. many kits will give you a chip or a piggyback module to get you up and running, but they are not good long term solutions. you will want to be tuned for your specific vehicle, not a canned tune.
before you spend a dime, do as much research on turbocharging as you can. they're a great way to make efficient power. they're also a great way to grenade your engine if you don't know what you're doing. if you do it, do it right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Inline motors make awesome torque so this would be a great addition with a good torque cam and geared axles.

Do your research first and get with someone who knows about turbo's but don't try this yourself, it's not as easy as people make it out to be. And NO you cannot "JUST" bolt on a turbo unless you want to buy a new engine.

GL; I am working on this right now too although I have everything more or less to finish it, it's just wether or not I want to now or stroke it.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You seem to know your shit... any ideas why my 99 tj 4l turbo is spiking oil pressure ? Motor was swapped added the turbo she runs and starts but anything past 3 rd gear the oil pressure sky rockets..
anything that requires added fuel to compensate for increased air flow (like a turbo) affects emissions. a properly tuned turbo setup should still have no problems passing emissions tests, though.

it's not something to enter into lightly. first and foremost, your engine must be in good working order. you WILL need to run premium gas if you want your engine to stay healthy. turbos generate a lot of underhood heat, so you'll want to check all the plastic and rubber bits (specifically vacuum lines and fittings) under the hood to make sure they're in good shape. you will need to upgrade your fuel system, but a good turbo kit should come with what you need to do that. transmission wise, you may want to consider a stronger clutch for a manual or a better converter and a shift kit for an automatic. not required, but they will help harness the new power.
if you plan to put a turbo on a otherwise stock engine, you will want to limit the amount of boost you run to keep your engine alive.
you will also want to have your setup CUSTOM TUNED. many kits will give you a chip or a piggyback module to get you up and running, but they are not good long term solutions. you will want to be tuned for your specific vehicle, not a canned tune.
before you spend a dime, do as much research on turbocharging as you can. they're a great way to make efficient power. they're also a great way to grenade your engine if you don't know what you're doing. if you do it, do it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you turbod your Jeep ? I am trying find answers for my 4L got the turbo she starts and drives till 3rd then the oil pressure spikes and it sputters out... would this be because it needs to be tuned still and not getting enough fuel ? Or I’d there something else going on ...

Inline motors make awesome torque so this would be a great addition with a good torque cam and geared axles.

Do your research first and get with someone who knows about turbo's but don't try this yourself, it's not as easy as people make it out to be. And NO you cannot "JUST" bolt on a turbo unless you want to buy a new engine.

GL; I am working on this right now too although I have everything more or less to finish it, it's just wether or not I want to now or stroke it.

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Kowiebunga,

This thread is from 2011. The early posters may not be around any longer. Perhaps more current posters will have an answer for you.
Are you running a high volume oil pump? I assume you're talking about a 4.0.
What year is your Jeep and what else have you done besides a turbo?

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts