Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People with the turbo are you having issues?
Am leaning towards getting a new JL
I drove the turbo rubi today first time and wow is it quick.
Has there been a lot of issues with them being there new?
Thx.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2018 jlur with the turbo engine a month ago. I have not had any problems and have not heard of anyone else having problems. I like how it does not seem to struggle going up steep hills on the interstate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
People with the turbo are you having issues?
Am leaning towards getting a new JL
I drove the turbo rubi today first time and wow is it quick.
Has there been a lot of issues with them being there new?
Thx.
I've had my turbo Rubicon JLU since April with almost 6k miles--no issues here. Love the pickup, power, and gas mileage.

Don

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I have the V6 but have a couple buddies with the T4 and they love it. All of us are recovering gear heads. Well maybe not recovering but.....:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Love the little 4 banger turbo in our Ford 4wd Escape. I think it’s about 265 HP in a 2.0 liter. Our 3.5 Twin turbo Expedition is a beast for power with 400 HP. Test drove the new 2020 Explorer ST with the new 3.0 twin turbo which is also 400 HP and about 480 fpt. What a beast it is. Makes max torque starting about 2K rpm. None of the battery hybrid shit on the fords though. Would never buy the Jeep version with the extra battery and all the related horseshit they have put on it. Ford is light years ahead of FCA with their line of small ecoboost engines. Come on Bronco!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Love the little 4 banger turbo in our Ford 4wd Escape. I think it’s about 265 HP in a 2.0 liter. Our 3.5 Twin turbo Expedition is a beast for power with 400 HP. Test drove the new 2020 Explorer ST with the new 3.0 twin turbo which is also 400 HP and about 480 fpt. What a beast it is. Makes max torque starting about 2K rpm. None of the battery hybrid shit on the fords though. Would never buy the Jeep version with the extra battery and all the related horseshit they have put on it. Ford is light years ahead of FCA with their line of small ecoboost engines. Come on Bronco!
Wow. 3.0L twin turbo and 480Tq. That would be a beast. I'd be trading in my JLUR on a New Jeep Wrangler if that motor came to the party.

(So much for my recovery....)

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Slightly off on torque, but it's still a good amount.

" 2020 Ford Explorer ST, a 400-hp performance crossover. Enthusiasts' ears should perk up at hearing that the Explorer rides on a new rear-wheel-drive architecture and is powered by a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 tweaked to produce 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/explorer/2020/2020-ford-explorer-st-review/

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The e-torgue (48v Battery) has been removed from the 2.0 turbo for the 2020 model year.
I read that it's sticking around on the Sahara. All other models are losing it. And the 3.6 is getting it as an option, again on the Sahara.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
A buddy has a 2019 JLUR with turbo4. It's been in to the shop 3 times for some kind of sensor issue, I can't remember. 8000 miles.

It's not that they'll fix it or not, it's the PITA making the call, booking it in, driving over there, 30 minutes to drop it off, a loaner if they have one...then repeat for pickup. Me whining.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've had the 2019 JL turbo for a few weeks now and I love how it drives. I know the turbo engine has a different sound, but with windows open and/or top off it sounds very "whiney" (for a lack of better words). I'm assuming this is normal but you know what happens when you assume!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2018 Sport S 2 door with 15,000 miles on the 2.0L. It's been driven in 115 degrees stop and go, been to Moab, Grand Staircase and several desert trails. It's plenty quick on the road (for a Jeep) with satisfying bottom end torque. Mine regularly averages 24 MPG and runs fantastic.

I've had zero issues.In fact I've noticed improved MPG and performance as the engine settled in.

It's a wonderful engine IMO

·
Registered
156 Posts
2019 with 10,500k miles on it; zero issues; with stock, all-season tires, I can get 26-28MPG on the open highway. When I put all-terrains on it, it drops to 23-24 MPG.

The engine is amazing; it's fast. Love it.

*I do have a 7 year, unlimited mileage extended warranty which I recommend getting on first generation engines.

·
Registered
176 Posts
just making the 40 mile drive home from the dealer on Friday I avg 22.5mpg the best I ever got out of my JK was 17 mpg and its way more responsive than my JK ever was. Looking forward to hitting the dunes! also you can run 87 octane in these motors but 91 is recommended for "optimum performance"

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The e-torgue (48v Battery) has been removed from the 2.0 turbo for the 2020 model year.
Removing the E torque? I wonder why. Will they lower the price. It helped off the line so I wonder how it will be without it. Also MPG around town.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2019 Sahara with the 4cyl turbo. It runs great and with mid grade fuel I got 29.5 MPG setting cruise at 72MPH and normal speed limits through town on a trip to Amish country in Ohio. I can't say enough good things about it.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
I have had a few 2.0 turbos as rental cars. Actually, driving one right now. The fuel mileage is excellent. They certainly have power. I just find them a bit jumpy so I went with the V6 in my new Jeep order.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts