Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get the best bang for the buck for a major power increase in my new (to me) 4.0l TJ. What are your opinions about going Turbo, Supercharger, Stroker, or V8 Swap??

It must be a manual transmission and must be reliable as this is my daily driver. Love to get everyone's opinions. Thanks in advance! Obviously, price is a concern, but I want to do it right.

Been doing some internet research and my head is spinning. Need some direction.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've done a bit of research into this, and a stroker is what I would consider somewhat practical money vs performance upgrade. You can get parts, have the cylinders overbored, and assemble it yourself for less than any of the other options you listed above. If you have somebody do it for you at a shop it will run a little higher, but less work and complexity than the turbo, supercharger, or v8 swap.

Turbo - $3k
Supercharger - $4k
Stroker kit - $1.5
Small block v8 - $3-5k

A turbo or supercharger are not a good idea on a stock engine with a lot of miles, so these, in my opinion, would be best added to a stroker. A v8 swap means you have to a modify a lot of things, like motor mounts, and you have to take out almost everything in the engine bay that went with the 4.0L, and replace them with the v8 accessories. Much bigger of a project, and it will cost a lot more.

Just my .02

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

·
Commercial Member
288 Posts
What year jeep do you have?

I am quite partial to 'superchargeing' the 4.0L engine.
Low boost is very reliable.
Adds 60 rear wheel HP and 70-80 rear wheel TQ.
Comes on right off idle, no 'spool up'.

No relocation of any accessories or loss of A/C.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
My vote is the stroker. I believe the other options like diesel swaps (4bt), 350 swaps, and the turbo/supercharging can yield impressive results, I just feel that you get the most bang for the buck with the stroker.

Somewhere around +70 horsepower and +60 torque over the stock 190 horsepower, 235 torque 4.0L. You get better fuel economy, replacement parts are readily available, and perhaps has some of the least modification to install. Probably the only downfall is you need to fill up with 91 octane.

Either this or consider the 5.3 or 5.9 swap. It's a very popular engine swap for TJs and yields impressive power results

That's my personal opinion...but if money wasn't an option I would love a supercharged 350;) Just make sure to consider all other upgrades to make your Jeep suitable to your swap choice:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what its worth: JP magazine states that the 4bt Cummins is one of the WORST swap ideas for a Wrangler. There isn't much comment, but they basically say the heavy vibration is the deal killer. Everything I've seen points to a Chevy V8 if you are swapping in an engine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Chevy V8 swap is clearly the best option; but nothing in life comes for free. Based on my somewhat limited research, that swap is likely to cost at least $10k. Mileage is better though, my only saving grace to try to sell the idea to the wife!!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
For what its worth: JP magazine states that the 4bt Cummins is one of the WORST swap ideas for a Wrangler. There isn't much comment, but they basically say the heavy vibration is the deal killer. Everything I've seen points to a Chevy V8 if you are swapping in an engine.
Yup Cummins and their damn vibrations. The 4BT though can actually be one of the best swaps, just everything and I mean EVERYTHING, needs to be beefed up as according. Engine mounts, tranny mounts, beefed up tranny or new tranny, driveshafts, axles, etc(I'm sure some people will try and fight this). If you skimp on anything you have will problem after problem. Reason be, if you are going to do the 4BT swap, you better have a few years of tax returns available, otherwise consider other options

The 350 swap though is a great swap and the engine itself is probably one of the best blocks to ever be introduced into an automobile. You are going to have alot of fun with its powerband;)

·
Premium Member
7,919 Posts
I am sure someone will shoot me down on this....but having a couple of the Pentastars.....and being very happy with them....why has no one considered a swap of one of those? The almost 285 HP from the start make me think it would be "better" power to weight ratio than most any V8....and we know there are PLENTY of axles and parts.........So is it because of the cost of the motor and the fact more people have already done the V8 swap so it is easier/ less costly?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I am sure someone will shoot me down on this....but having a couple of the Pentastars.....and being very happy with them....why has no one considered a swap of one of those? The almost 285 HP from the start make me think it would be "better" power to weight ratio than most any V8....and we know there are PLENTY of axles and parts.........So is it because of the cost of the motor and the fact more people have already done the V8 swap so it is easier/ less costly?
Besides the core itself it would actually be a fairly cheap swap, especially with Jeepers who already have the NSG370. Pretty much would be a direct bolt up

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As far as I know, I believe the response would be twofold: there is already vast part support for the Chevy swap, not so with the pentastar. Also, the Chevy has known performance and reliability over the long run, while the Pentastar is a newer animal. Who knows, with time, you may be right on the money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If your wallet is up for the challenge, I think you'll be most impressed with the v8 swap. Although this swap lies about 2 years or more down the road for me, it's the path I plan to go down.

Novak has a nice little writeup on pretty much everything that should be considered regarding the swap process. It's a nice read.

Converting the TJ / LJ Jeep Wranglers to GM Engines

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
If your wallet is up for the challenge, I think you'll be most impressed with the v8 swap. Although this swap lies about 2 years or more down the road for me, it's the path I plan to go down.

Novak has a nice little writeup on pretty much everything that should be considered regarding the swap process. It's a nice read.

Converting the TJ / LJ Jeep Wranglers to GM Engines
they just finished the mounts for the GM 6L80 trans. so if you extend the wheelbase a bit, you can have an aluminum v8 with a 6 sp auto trans. might need stronger axles with the added power

v8 swap is def my vote, and i've researched every option, stroker is nice, but difficult to take advantage of the power gains with the jeep computers and they arent cheap plus no mpg increase. diesels are way too heavy to be beneficial when comparing it to an aluminum v8, plus you lose the fun factor of a jeep while you are on the road. turbo or super is a huge expense to put a ton of stress on the oem engine and transmission

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.