Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into turbochargers for my tj lately, and was wondering if anybody has any kind of experience with them or any knowledge they could share? looking into the $1-$1500 range. Thanks, A.J.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Can't help your with the Turbo, I know its been done though. Just curious, what size tire, transmission, and gears do you have?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I've been looking into turbochargers for my tj lately, and was wondering if anybody has any kind of experience with them or any knowledge they could share? looking into the $1-$1500 range. Thanks, A.J.
505 Performance sells a kit. It's about $5000 last I checked. On a OBDII TJ, you're dreaming if you think you can do it for $1500 while using a quality turbo. The turbo alone will cost $1k-1.5k...then theres fab of the pipework, heat insulation, intercooler (which is pretty much a necessity), and most importantly larger injectors with piggyback tuner computer. The cheap ebay turbos for ~$200 & wastegates for $20 aren't worth it...at all. Might be good for mock-up and fabrication purposes, but definitely not driving worthy.

05-06 can be tuned without a piggyback, but 97-04 will require a piggyback tuner like the Unichip-Q or a SplitSecond FTC-1 (thats another $500-1000). You'll then need to get it dyno tuned by a shop, which is another couple hundred bucks.

I've been researching boosting the 4.0L for about 4-5 years now, and I've got a nice parts list put together...for my Jeep, should I choose to do it. FWIW, I've always thought a T04E turbo would work well.

turbocharging works really good on the 4.0L, if you do it right. If you're serious, you'll want to look up "YJ and Corey" on Pirate4x4, he's about the most knowledgable guy on turbo'ed 4.0L's around.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can get a very good turbo for under $600, a good waste gate for $275, and tune your PCM for $350. If you can do all the fab you can do it for that price. You will need a wide band o2. AEM is nice and is about $200

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Why not go stroker? Seems to be less money and a good amount of power to the wheels. Or you can just fold down your windshield, it will make it feel faster. Ha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts