Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a friend tell me about how he turbo charged his stock 2.5L engine in his cj and how the jeep just performs a lot better now...im kinda interested in doing it myself...would someone spare 10 minutes of there time to tell me what some of the pros and cons about doing that? thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i had a friend tell me about how he turbo charged his stock 2.5L engine in his cj and how the jeep just performs a lot better now...im kinda interested in doing it myself...would someone spare 10 minutes of there time to tell me what some of the pros and cons about doing that? thanks
I think it's a horrible idea, but it gets brought up from time to time.

The 2.5 isn't constructed for the extra power, so durability would be a concern. Neither is the AX5.

With OBD1, there's really no way to adjust the ECM to optimize fuel air mixture

It's expensive

It's time consuming

My suggestion: Spend the time and money on a proper engine swap

·
Registered
95 Posts
I currently own a turbo 2.5 YJ, and I love everything about it. The 2.5 has no problem taking 7-8 psi, but that being said, I run 12 psi through my lightly built setup. There are ways to get it to work without extensive ecu work, but honestly it's worth going with either a standalone or piggyback ecu. It is time consuming, expensive, frustrating, requires lots of custom fab, and I'm currently on my third ax-5 lol, but it is so much freaking fun to drive. Is it worth it? Honestly probably not, you can build a much more reliable and practical rig for less money, but if you're more interested in having a unique and fun jeep with lots of smiles per gallon then maybe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's a horrible idea, but it gets brought up from time to time.

The 2.5 isn't constructed for the extra power, so durability would be a concern. Neither is the AX5.

With OBD1, there's really no way to adjust the ECM to optimize fuel air mixture

It's expensive

It's time consuming

My suggestion: Spend the time and money on a proper engine swap
those are all my fears...with my luck it would melt the engine lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently own a turbo 2.5 YJ, and I love everything about it. The 2.5 has no problem taking 7-8 psi, but that being said, I run 12 psi through my lightly built setup. There are ways to get it to work without extensive ecu work, but honestly it's worth going with either a standalone or piggyback ecu. It is time consuming, expensive, frustrating, requires lots of custom fab, and I'm currently on my third ax-5 lol, but it is so much freaking fun to drive. Is it worth it? Honestly probably not, you can build a much more reliable and practical rig for less money, but if you're more interested in having a unique and fun jeep with lots of smiles per gallon then maybe.
ok thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts