Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some kick ass lights on my windshield frame but now I notice lots of wind turbulence going over the roof of my tj. It was bad with the soft top but its almost worse with the hard top, lots of vibration over my head.

Any one have an idea?

A "wing" behind the lights?

Or a spoiler?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Air flow is so complex at speed, and changes with speed, that unless you have access to a wind tunnel (Wouldn't that be cool?) you'd almost just have to experiment with temporary add-ons until you quiet it, and then make a permanent and good looking installation. It may be as simple as adding a heavy tar sound deadener pad to the top to break up whatever vibration has found its resonant frequency.

·
Registered
99 Posts
wtbiv73 said:
I installed some kick ass lights on my windshield frame but now I notice lots of wind turbulence going over the roof of my tj. It was bad with the soft top but its almost worse with the hard top, lots of vibration over my head.

Any one have an idea?

A "wing" behind the lights?

Or a spoiler?
There's a ton of threads on here about DIY tension rods for your soft top. I spent about $30 bucks at lowes and made my own then drove to Colorado from Georgia and DANG what a difference! Took two 3.5" street t's and split them down the middle to fit on my roll bar. Then reduced it to 1.5" out the service port and bent a piece of pipe between the two, allowing it to bow up and tighten my top. A little paint and I was done. It was easy, made a huge difference and will also make your top last a little longer since its not flapping around so much. I'll post some pics later if you'd like.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I installed a piece of foam pipe insulation on the forward cross bar to stop the flapping and it made a big difference. I used the pre split with the glue strip.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
My solution is simply to move them to the bumper. Anything on the roof is going to be noisy and create turbulence. It may not look as cool but the bumper location will actually work better and create less glare than rooftop or windshield pillar locations.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i'm going to try to make an air foil, like for a sun roof on a car. Gong to take a lot of trial and error I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts