Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Haha, thanks guys! I'm very pleased with my bronze choice. Xtc, you're right, the colors don't always mesh, but it really seems to work with my build. Can't wait until I can get some 37" tires wrapped around these Roost wheels, but there's a lot of axle work to be done before I'm comfortable doing that... Plus I guess I should wear out these DuraTracs first, right?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Just got back from vacation with the Jeep, my GF and I drove to Roanaoke, VA then through Richmond and to Virginia Beach, then we went down to Outer Banks, NC to drive on the beach at Corolla.

While we were in Roanoke, I went up to Poor Mountain Road just outside of town and climbed up to the top late at night. Couldn't see much of a view since it was dark and we were up in the clouds, but the close-up views of the scenery were beautiful!
Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Car Off-roading Automotive design

The 4x4 beach at Corolla was beautiful too! We had a nice relaxing day at the beach:
Vehicle Automotive tire Sand Tire Car

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Corolla is awesome! Last year around the 4th of July we did a pony tour in one of the hummers that drives the beach. My wife loved seeing all the jeeps on the beach - when we got home from vacation she started researching the cost of a new jeep, 7 days later we bought ours. Now a year later we will be taking the jeep down to Corolla!! Super excited to take her out on the beach!!!!

What did you air down to ? I've never driven in sand before

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Corolla is awesome! Last year around the 4th of July we did a pony tour in one of the hummers that drives the beach. My wife loved seeing all the jeeps on the beach - when we got home from vacation she started researching the cost of a new jeep, 7 days later we bought ours. Now a year later we will be taking the jeep down to Corolla!! Super excited to take her out on the beach!!!!

What did you air down to ? I've never driven in sand before
That's awesome! We saw a lot of those pony tour Hummers out there when we visited, I wanted to follow them around and see the wild horses, but we ran out of time.
When I first got there, the road ended and I didn't have a place to pull over and air down so I just put it in 4hi and pushed through. It wasn't too bad since the tires are so wide, but once we stopped, I aired down to like 20psi I think. I hear people saying all the time that they go to 12 or 16 but since I don't have OBA yet and didn't know how far the closest air station was, I just stopped at 20 and it worked beautifully!

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is one of my favorite builds! Looks sick! :thumb: A quick question though, did you keep the stock gearing? If so how do the 315's ride with the 4:10 ratio?

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's awesome! We saw a lot of those pony tour Hummers out there when we visited, I wanted to follow them around and see the wild horses, but we ran out of time.
When I first got there, the road ended and I didn't have a place to pull over and air down so I just put it in 4hi and pushed through. It wasn't too bad since the tires are so wide, but once we stopped, I aired down to like 20psi I think. I hear people saying all the time that they go to 12 or 16 but since I don't have OBA yet and didn't know how far the closest air station was, I just stopped at 20 and it worked beautifully!
thanks for the input! Can't wait to get out there!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
This is one of my favorite builds! Looks sick! :thumb: A quick question though, did you keep the stock gearing? If so how do the 315's ride with the 4:10 ratio?
Thanks man! Yeah I did keep it for now, it isn't too bad honestly. It is a little sluggish, but definitely tolerable. Also I averaged 18.1mpg from South Bend, IN to Roanoke, VA the first day of our trip (including through the mountains), so the highway mileage makes up for the sluggishness. Mind you, I normally drive just in the city and average 14-15mpg because I have a lead foot. I'll regear eventually to like 4.88 so the transition to 37" tires won't be too bad when I finally get there.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
After the foray into the Badlands, my dumb a$$ didn't retighten the jam nuts on the upper control arms, then I drove to OBX from northern Indiana. Bad idea... This caused the threaded end to wiggle back and forth ever so slightly, gradually wearing down the threads. What made me finally replace the rear uppers is the "rear torque steer" I was experiencing. The adjustment threads on the UCAs had gotten so bad on the rear passenger side that under acceleration, the arm would lengthen slightly, twisting the axle back on the passenger side, making the Jeep pull to the left. It was crazy! I already wrote about my install of new rear UCAs and LCAs, so here's a link:
SPC Control Arms for Jeep JK: Part One - Turk | Tire Rack

Part 1 is up as of today, but part 2 isn't yet. There will be a link in part 1 once part 2 is posted.
They're SPC uppers and Synergy lowers

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Update 10/6/2015
Since I last posted, I finished the install of the SPC control arms, and they have held up well so far with some light wheeling and daily driving.
I found a jam nut issue in the front track bar and had to replace it too, since the play in the adjustment end was causing the front tires to cup out. I probably had DW and just hadn't realized it yet. I replaced it with the JKS HD adjustable track bar and I added the steering stabilizer relocation bracket too, so it gives the track bar a new fresh hole to mount to, rather than the stock holes that probably wallowed out a little bit. It also gave me a reason to get a new steering stabilizer, which I got from Eibach.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Here are some pictures from Silver Lake, MI and the surrounding area where we went wheeling and camping the weekend before last.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Could I ask you what you're using for a pole to hold that huge pirate flag up?
When I bought my 109" CB whip antenna, it shipped in a long PVC pipe. I just zip-tied two carabiners to it where the flag clips in and wrapped the whole pipe in black duct tape and lashed it to the tire carrier!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Progress update

One of my buddies had a serious death wobble issue so we got some 1.5"x1.5" 5 gauge steel plates laser cut and had 9/16" holes cut in the middle of them. We then welded one onto both sides of the axle and frame sides of the track bar mount. This repairs the wallowed out mounting holes and reinforces them to prevent future death wobble. We then replaced the factory bolts with 9/16" x 3" 18tpi grade 8 bolts and nuts. This tightened up the front end and cured his DW.
We liked the fix, so we did it on all 3 of our Jeeps to prevent DW from starting in the first place.
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Wheel

I painted the center rings black on my Method Roost wheels. I should have the closed center caps before long!
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

I painted the rear diff cover bronze because I had extra bronze paint:
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car

And I "tinted" the rear vinyl windows. It looks pretty good from the outside, but the inside (where the paint was applied) is foggy as hell and looks pretty janky, plus you can't really see through them at all. I don't recommend this if you care about your windows. I don't, so I guinea pigged it, and these are my ghetto rear windows:
Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Windshield

101 - 120 of 170 Posts