Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice build. Just read all 5 pages! I saw on another thread you put some led strips in the hood gap as your side markers. You plan to do the same on this jeep? You got any better pics of that particular mod?

The Anvil looks great. Those bronze wheels look way better than I would have imagined on that color.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Nice build. Just read all 5 pages! I saw on another thread you put some led strips in the hood gap as your side markers. You plan to do the same on this jeep? You got any better pics of that particular mod?

The Anvil looks great. Those bronze wheels look way better than I would have imagined on that color.
Thanks! I like the color combo too!

Yup, that is actually the same Jeep! All I did was snip the factory connecting harness from the side marker light and soldered it to the leads on an LED strip. Mine is like this in a 24cm length and in amber/yellow, but two of my buddies did this mod with just normal strips like this one and it looks great too! I just epoxy'd the strip onto the body panel under where the hood comes down and wired it in, it's that easy!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Haven't updated in awhile, but not much has happened...

Got a GoPro Hero4 Silver for Xmas so next wheeling trip will be better documented.

Not running the trunk anymore, working on storage options. I have a buddy that can get square tubing super cheap and can get some 2" radius bends put in it for me, so we are going to build a roof rack eventually... I have some angle iron lashed across the roll bars in the rear to strap gear to for now so the puppy has room underneath to walk around.

Oh yeah... That's the reason I haven't updated! I got engaged and got a puppy this past summer. The ring is the financial reason I haven't done much to the Jeep recently, and the wedding is the reason next year will be slow, too... But whatever, the Jeep performs great for now and despite a slight pull to the left, a bad exhaust job, and a leaky radiator, she runs just fine!

Also, I dip'd the hood. With racing stripes. For reasons. I was bored.

Here are some pictures:

Sir Maxwell Murder IV:
at 9 weeks:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
at 7 months:
Automotive tire Tire Dog Canidae Vehicle
Engagement photo:
Vehicle Car Off-road vehicle Safari Mode of transport

And the hood dip:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Windshield Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Off-road vehicle

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Love the hood! How hard was it to do?
Haha, thanks! I did it in the garage, after several beers...
Well, more specifically, I taped it off and I had my buddy spray it. I have very little patience or finesse, and "thin, even coats" are not in my wheelhouse. If you're capable of spray painting anything and making it look halfway decent, you'll be fine. The lines aren't super crisp or anything, but you can't tell unless you're looking closely.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a buddy that's pretty good... I'll have him help me, haha I sucked when I plastidipped stuff on my old jeep.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks! I like the color combo too!

Yup, that is actually the same Jeep! All I did was snip the factory connecting harness from the side marker light and soldered it to the leads on an LED strip. Mine is like this in a 24cm length and in amber/yellow, but two of my buddies did this mod with just normal strips like this one and it looks great too! I just epoxy'd the strip onto the body panel under where the hood comes down and wired it in, it's that easy!
Went with 30cm/12" led strips for the sidemarkers. Thanks for the idea. I think these are going to look pretty slick running down the hwy.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
The exhaust drone was killing my better half, so I had to do something about it. I didn't have the option to buy a new exhaust right away, since I'm paying for my wedding this year, so Jeep mods are on the cheap for the time being.
I had some leftover Dynamat knockoff I found on amazon from a previous project, so I stripped out the interior of the back and matted as much as I could, and poly-filled the large cavities in the body. Took out the sub and put some Mat in and behind the sub enclosure, which seems to make the bass sound a bit more crisp.
Sprayed it all with truck bed liner and it looks good and sounds much better. The wife-to-be is quite pleased that we can have a normal conversation at highway speeds now. The combo of the exhaust drone and soft top noise were killing her apparently...
Vehicle Car Minivan Mitsubishi pajero Renault kangoo
Vehicle Car Minivan Compact mpv
Net Car Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Auto part

Happy wife, happy life!

I put the trim pieces back in, but left the roll bar nerfing off and the carpet out. I just have Gorilla tape holding the roll bar trim pieces in place now since I want to chop the roll bars out and redo them anyway. As usual with my Jeep, permanent fix is to follow at a later date!

And I've been building lots of things around the house, so I've been testing how much wood I can fit in a 2-door:
Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Car Off-road vehicle

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
Cargo rack got started this weekend:

I had some 1"x1" steel square tube in my garage left from a friend's project and found some eye bolts and metal tabs that I think came from the stock rear bumper or something, and that all bolted through where the rear seatbelts used to bolt in and acts as a support for the cargo basket.
Product Pipe Tire Machine Automotive wheel system

Then I picked up some basic wire shelves from the hardware store, one was 4'x3' ish and the other was 5'x2' ish. The 4' wide one slid in over the crossmember as the horizontal part of the rack. The 5' wide one was a bit too tall to be the vertical part, so it either had to be cut or bent. I figured if we could bend it, it could wrap around the top and make the opening easier to cover with a cargo net to keep stuff in. Bending this stuff is harder than I thought! We ended up having to improvise a press brake out of some lumber I had laying around, and the bend ended up coming out not half bad!
Floor Flooring Tile
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Wheel

U-bolts attach the top to the cage right behind the sound bar. Leftover carriage bolts from a chain link fence I built came in handy to attach the wire shelving to the support, and I used some of that right angle perforated steel erector-set-looking stuff that I think is used to attach garage doors to connect the two pieces of shelving together (with more carriage bolts).
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Van Auto part
Top it all off with a really crappy rattle can paint job done in the dark at 2am, and you've got yourself a ghetto cargo rack that still leaves room for a medium/large size dog underneath!
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

I'll likely reinforce it a bit more to carry heavier items, but for soft stuff like tents, clothes, sleeping bags, etc, it will work fine for now!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Spent some time buttoning up the new cargo situation and organizing a bit, resprayed the back side windows so no light gets through (not pictured, paint was still drying when pics were taken) and put the garage door opener in a better place.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Jeep

Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

Windshield Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been racking my brain looking for a good hiding spot for my garage opener. Thanks for posting!
Funny I didn't think of this already, because I have my external CB speaker mounted in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Yeah, I don't know how I didn't think of it before. I had it up in the corner of the cage behind my head, but when I took the rear nerf bar covers off, it didn't stay up there anymore. I had it on my dash until yesterday when it hit me to just recess it into the front nerf bars!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got my JCR Crusader rockers on a week or two ago and just haven't had time to wash her up and get a good picture until now. Bought them bare steel and had them powder coated (fo' free!) and got all the nerve-racking holes drilled into the body, and everything mounted up beautifully!
View attachment 1913618
Sweet Jesus... She's gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Sweet Jesus... She's gorgeous!
How did you cut your fenders? Any pics on how to do it?
Thanks! She's always changing, and I try to keep this thread updated, but I'm lazy.

I don't have pics of how to do it, but I've done it on 3 different Jeeps now, and it's not hard to do. It just takes patience, a good eye, and some balls to take a jigsaw to your fenders. The good thing is, if you screw up- you can get OEM fenders cheap since a lot of owners replace them with aftermarket fenders.

I like to use the green FROG tape to get a nice contrast and use the edge of it to outline where to cut. Either that or tape in the general area you want to cut and draw the cut line in sharpie or something. You will want to take off the inner fender liners if you want to retain them. Under the lip of the fenders, you'll see a bunch of plastic rivets that kind of look like body clips- easiest way to get those out is with a very small screwdriver or ice pick and jam it into the little button in the middle until it snaps and pops in, then you can pull the whole clip out.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Almost drowned DUX this weekend at the Badlands in Attica, IN. We had to pull the intake system apart to make sure there was no water in the motor, but I got lucky- all the water got caught in the intake and I shut the engine off before it made it past the throttle body!

121 - 140 of 170 Posts