Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn the drivers side lights on both taillights blink along with the front driver side running lights. When I do the same to the passenger side only the front pass. running lights work. My break lights work but I don't know if I have a ground or what? I'm really bumbed about this so any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
First check the bulbs are the correct ones. On the taillights they are grounded to the tub by the mounting screws. A little cleaning may just be the trick

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Blinker fluid? Just to add, my hazards don't work?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep, gotta be the blinker fluid.

Nah, for real man, I had an issue like that also. I started by going through checking all the bulbs, cleaning the posts and replacing shtty looking ones. Turn the blinkers on and pull one bulb at a time and see what happens. Have you done anything electrical to it lately? Installed aux. lights, replaced fused, new radio, etc? I replaced both flashers (the big round ones in the fuse box under the dash) and it fixed mine. Couldn't hurt to replace them, if you haven't they're most likely approaching 20yrs old.

Chances are pulling a bulb or six will at least isolate the problem. If it doesn't, top off that blinker fluid.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If and where would I find any fuses that run to the turn signals/hazards? Would the switch have to do with the hazards not working at all and the turn signals working half way?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fuse block under the dash left of the clutch. It's tucked up in there. 'Nother one right in front of the battery.

When did the problem start anyway?

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Three days ago out of the blue in the middle of town. Thanks for the diagrams dragon!

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

One thing is holding me up here. How do I get the old switch unit out and some how slide the new one in? Need more pictures let me know and I did remove the four 8mm bolts for the steering column "shroud".

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sweet Jesus! From the look at that pic you are really into it now. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I've been searching the interwebs and I "believe" I have to pull the whole steering column out just to remove the plastic shroud and replace the turn signal switch. :surrender: I'm going to sleep..... good night :zap:

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after sleeping on it last night I decided to have a go once more before I tried to remove the column. I cut the old signal switch out and pushed with a long crowsfoot the new one all the way through the plastic shroud. YAY! I was sooooo happy and after 10 minutes of remembering where everything went I was able to test it. The hazards work 100% now and the signal sound is much louder and blinks perfect. But I still have a few small problems with grounds in the front running lights that I'll finish later today. Oh I also fixed my high beams by using some penetrating oil and changing one of the head lights.

After looking at it I may have a ground problem in the only light I haven't pull out, drivers taillight. That light is clean looking but I'll check it just to make sure. Another thing to add I checked the two front running lights grounds and cleaned them and changed the bulbs in them so I'm thinking the ground is in the back.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm impressed Chico. You actually figured out how to do a job you were kinda clueless about when you started. Big score. You're not a JeepMaster yet but you do show potential.:rofl:

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm impressed Chico. You actually figured out how to do a job you were kinda clueless about when you started. Big score. You're not a JeepMaster yet but you do show potential.:rofl:
Yes master :punk: :rolleyes: :rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts