Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at hooking up a turn signal camera on the passenger side of Jeep. (Already have radio flashed for backup camera.)

Question I've got is, if I wire the camera up to my turn signal, how does the voltage goto my turn signal. Is it a constant 12V that the turn signal then flashes OR does some type of controller send voltage on and off to cause it to flash?

I don't want to wire to the hot lead of my turn signal and it cause my camera to flash on & off. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any info.
1070MAN

·
Registered
952 Posts
This made me chuckle, mainly because I wouldn't have thought about that until my camera was flashing off and on.
Must be a way to use a relay?
In for the info from someone more electrically intelligent than me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
"Hot" lead to your turn signal switch? Which is that?

The turn signal stalk sends a signal to the computer, and the computer flashes the appropriate light bulbs, measuring current while at it to make sure it hasn't been burned out.

Also, the dealer radio flash for the backup camera is designed to only enable the screen when in reverse.

Reactions: Havs

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Hot" lead to your turn signal switch? Which is that?

The turn signal stalk sends a signal to the computer, and the computer flashes the appropriate light bulbs, measuring current while at it to make sure it hasn't been burned out.

Also, the dealer radio flash for the backup camera is designed to only enable the screen when in reverse.

I was thinking of the "hot" lead being the positive power lead. I figure when the computer sends out the signal to flash the right turn signal it sends out 12 volts, which in turn would power the camera. However, if it pulses 12 V power to the turn signal, that would not work for the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
The +12v signal being sent to the turn signal lamps by the computer is an intermittent signal. It sounds as if you want to use the video screen of the radio to substitute for the outside mirrors.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm curious what would be the benefit of a turn signal camera? You would need two, one for left and one for right, correct?

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
I learned to use the mirrors some 60 years ago and they still work without electronics or wiring. That said, I do like the remote control mirrors and wish my TJ had them.

I absolutely loved the mirrors I had on my Ram 2500, not only were they big, but in the corner was a wide angle mirror. The Wrangler mirrors are big enough, but the wide angle mirrors in the bottom corner would help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My new Honda Ridgeline has the right mirror camera and my wife's new Acura RDX has the sensing system that uses pillar lights and beeping sounds. As nice as the right mirror camera is, I think it is a distraction to use it, your now having to take your eyes off the road and focus on the dash screen. Sensing systems do both right and left sides as well as the rear, cameras just do the right side as far as I know. All have BU cameras, but I think you have to be reverse to use them, maybe an option to turn them on when going forward, just haven't looked for it if there is one. I know I didn't answer you question, but my right mirror camera can be turned on anytime by just pushing a button on the column, I sure it's in the electronics and programmed into the system. I know my new 2017 JK is so outdated not having all these somewhat standard options that most new vehicles have, but Push Button Start is my biggest complaint.

trainman

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
Push button start is kinda nice, but a throw back to the early 50's and before. They also had push button start (of course the key had to be on).

In order for push button start to work with the proximity detector of the authorized transmitter (in your pocket usually) the detector has to be on all the time. What happens if the battery runs down (either in the vehicle or the transmitter)? Do you have a key to manually open your doors or at least the drivers door?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In order for push button start to work with the proximity detector of the authorized transmitter (in your pocket usually) the detector has to be on all the time. What happens if the battery runs down (either in the vehicle or the transmitter)? Do you have a key to manually open your doors or at least the drivers door?[/QUOTE]

In case the ignition switch does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side of the Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition switch.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The +12v signal being sent to the turn signal lamps by the computer is an intermittent signal. It sounds as if you want to use the video screen of the radio to substitute for the outside mirrors.

Thanks for the info. After thinking about it that's kind of what i thought. Yes, you are about right. I'm wanting to use the screen as an additional help. Not just as my mirror but as a supplement. I tow a camper quite often and am wanting to give me a little more lookout.

My wife has a Honda with a turn signal camera and it gives a lot wider scope. That's what I'm hoping to recreate on my Jeep.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious what would be the benefit of a turn signal camera? You would need two, one for left and one for right, correct?

Possibly like to have a left and right. My wife's Honda has a right turn signal and it's helpful as a supplement, not something to rely on as a first glance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My wife's Honda has a right turn signal camera. I like it and thinks it works well as a supplement for turning. When I'm towing a camper, I can see the advantage of it.

I've got an idea I'm gonna try with a timer relay to get it to work. The trigger for it will come from the turn signal itself and the power from the battery.

If it works like I want it to, I'll post a thread on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.