Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 1997 jeep the left turn signal just buzzed. And the right worked but hazzard didn't work either. I changed the flasher and still did the same thing. I then checked all lights for corrosion and none to be found. 100 miles later and nothing works. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Possible bad grounds. Does the jeep have rear light guards?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update.... So I looked under the hood at the fuse box and where I THINK the multi-function switch fuse is the fuse is bad. But I swapped it out with another and no change. But I think I figured it out.. The previous owner had installed a trailer wire and instead of using one made for the jeep they just spliced one into the tail lights. The reason I am thinking this is the problem is because the break light is also NOT working. My question is what do yall think about it being the spliced trailer wire? When I turn on the lights it all lights work properly but when I press the break or use turn signals or hazard noting happens. I have changed the flasher with a new one and that didn't fix the problem. All bulb sockets look good and clean. What do yall think?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Besides the #9 fuse under the hood, check the #13 fuse in the block behind the glove box. Then see if the center brake light works when you step on the brakes. If those are good check for a bad connection at the connector to the left side multi function (turn signal) switch. If that is good & tight & no sign of excessive heat or any corrosion it’s probably the switch that is bad. The trailer connector can cause various problems but usually only to the rear. Since the front signals are also not working I doubt that is the cause.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE..... First think I did this morning is change all fuses behind the dash. I also changed #9 under the hood. The reason for changing all fuses behind the dash is one I will know they are all new and second I like the ones that light up when they are bad. Still didn't fix the problem. Next I removed the trailer plug that had been spliced into the rear tail lights that fixed the problem! It was a horrible wiring job. I now have turn signals, hazard, and break lights!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also while I was under the hood disconnecting the battery I found the vacuume leak for the AC! I now can select which vents the air comes out of!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts