Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn in my lights the left arrow for turn signal stays on and when I use my left turn signal it blinks faster than if I used my right signal. I think both issues are separate but not certain. Couldn't can't find a wiring issue. Help please.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
When I turn in my lights the left arrow for turn signal stays on and when I use my left turn signal it blinks faster than if I used my right signal. I think both issues are separate but not certain. Couldn't can't find a wiring issue. Help please.
Faster blink usually indicates a burnt out bulb. Since there is an interaction with your lights, I would suspect an issue with the bulb/socket on your front left fender flare (side marker turn signal) or the parking/turn signal bulb/socket in the front left fender.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faster blink usually indicates a burnt out bulb. Since there is an interaction with your lights, I would suspect an issue with the bulb/socket on your front left fender flare (side marker turn signal) or the parking/turn signal bulb/socket in the front left fender.
Would that explain the left turn signal indicator in dash coming on and staying on when I turn the lights on?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have seen 3 TJ's that have an issue with the left turn signal lighting up steady when the brake is pressed. I think it is an issue with the switch stalk not centering. Try moving the stalk up and down a little but not enough to click it. I just deal with it but replacing the stalk would probably fix that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen 3 TJ's that have an issue with the left turn signal lighting up steady when the brake is pressed. I think it is an issue with the switch stalk not centering. Try moving the stalk up and down a little but not enough to click it. I just deal with it but replacing the stalk would probably fix that.
Stalk?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Missed the part about the light staying on. Probably the multifunction switch, but I would still check the left front lights first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 98 TJ. Sometimes my left turn signal stops flashing when it is activated and I press the brake. Release the brake and it resumes flashing until the brake is used ... but the problem is intermittent. The right signal operates normally. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
X2 consider me the 4th you have seen. You can get a stalk from the ever popular dodge neons in the junkyard for 15 bucks. Same as ours. Bring a long semi skinny Phillips. Interchangeable bit screw drivers are too fat. Test it under your column before you go.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 98 TJ. Sometimes my left turn signal stops flashing when it is activated and I press the brake. Release the brake and it resumes flashing until the brake is used ... but the problem is intermittent. The right signal operates normally. Any suggestions?
Stalk going out see my above post. Definitely should fix you up. It's probably failing to center. Wiggling it during a miss hap will fix it too. But I don't like wiggling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Confirming it was a bulb issue

I had the same issue. The left turn signal works when head light switch was off, but if I turned on the head lights the left turn signal would remain solidly lit, all lights worked (maker, head, tail and turn). Right tail light was brighter than the left, and the top third tail light was on. Third light would get brighter when the brake pedal was presses. Also when the left turn signal was activated (light head lights out) the odometer and clock on the factory radio would blink alternately with the flasher.

Additionally I had the common instrument cluster blink out issue as well as a constantly air bag light.

Air bag light was solved by a clock spring. Dorman replacement part $50.00 Amazon

Instrument cluster was solved my cleaning contacts with a needle file. It was way easier to get in there with the steering wheel pulled.

Turn signal issue was 100% my fault. The left tail lamp failed about a month ago and I replaced it in the dark. I placed a single element bulb in the socket. The single element bulb contact spanned the 2 contacts in the socket and caused my turn signal issue. Replaced with the proper 2 contact/2 element bulb solved all turn signal issues.

:iamhappy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts