Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn signals do not work anymore, they randomly stopped working yesterday morning.

I have SuperBrightLEDs LED tail lights, but stock front lights. Both bulbs are good up front, hazards do work, as well as running and brake lights. I've already swapped the blinker/hazard relays with no change in results. Grounds are not an issue either, everything lights up.

It gets a bit weird when I apply the brakes. If I push the turn signal lever to turn right, the right rear tail light goes out, but the left tail light and 3rd tail light stay brightly lit. The same goes for the left side when turning left.

Any ideas here? The column lever works for high/low beams (though I believe that's a separate switch), and operates the windshield squirters/wipers perfectly.

I've already checked all of the fuses, none of them are out of place, none of them are blown.

-----

And yes I've already checked my blinker fluid levels. Even flushed the system out and refilled with DOT 31 Blinker Fluid ;)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are the grounds for the turn signal circuit? Also, would one bad ground cause both turn signals to fail to operate?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, the reverse lights also do not work. Beginning to think something came unplugged..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Electeical gremlins are a pain. Do you have a trailer wiring adapter? If so check where that is spliced-in. If that isn't it, remove the tail lights and check to see if wires have rubbed to ground on the body. Also in the front turn signals. I would start at the back though due to rev lights not working as well. Good luck

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wires for all 4 lights are good, making a good solid ground as well. Like I said the turn signal itself is inoperational, everything else works (brakes, hazards, running).

It does not have a trailer adapter wired in.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Xpress said:
Wires for all 4 lights are good, making a good solid ground as well. Like I said the turn signal itself is inoperational, everything else works (brakes, hazards, running).

It does not have a trailer adapter wired in.
That was my best guess. Well my friend I am no help in your quest to cure the Gremlins. Maybe where the relay plugs in has a mis-aligned spade or broken wire. Time use an ohm meter I suppose

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It gets even better. The turn signals are now working perfectly. Hazards too, as well as reverse lights. But now my dome lights aren't working. Those I wired in separately though so it's something in my own wiring...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if both sides are malfunctioning then it is not a problem with the feed to the lights or a ground..it is a problem prior to the blinker switch such as flasher unit going bad,a plug not getting a good connection or a wire mostly broken

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the entire dash all apart today, going to be cleaning up the wiring, installing my fuse block (for aftermarket stuff), as well as tracing out some of the wiring for the turn signals to see if there's a short somewhere.

It just seems odd to me that both the turn signals AND reverse lights would stop working at the same time, then randomly start working again.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found my short for the dome lights, wound up putting in the fuse block and tidying up the wiring. Blinkers/reverse lights are still working perfectly...

·
Registered
249 Posts
i second Big, i had some funky stuff happening when my reverse lights went out, i replaced the reverse switch, worked good.... and then the back up lights went out again... turned out to be the harness got drenched in oil (jeep life), found a set of wires that had melted together because of the oil killing the sheath's.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's funny, because I have oil spitting out of the engine, and it's basically coated everything... So maybe there in lies my problem...

·
Registered
551 Posts
It looks like the reverse lights and turn signals are both fed power from fuse #4. The hazards and brake lights get power from another fuse. Kinda seams like it may be a bad connection in the fuse box that acted up on ya.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts