Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am on my second JK, and this has happened on both, so I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue:

Sometimes when I accidentally hit my turn signal, either left or right, and want to turn it off, i will push it opposite of the way i initially hit. Now its not going all the way to the lock position (i.e. to keep it on in a turn lane), but its merely a bump. I sometimes go back and forth trying to get it to shut off, as many as 6 to 7 times. I just dont want to be in front of a cop and have this happen.

Anyone else heard of this? I dont know if it is the design of the lever or what.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if you press the blinker one way or the other before it "locks" it will continue to blink for a couple of ticks. You don't have to fix it. It is a lane changing blink, making it so you can just tap it and don't have to hold it at that position when changing lanes. Not sure if this is what you are trying to fix.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Are you wanting to turn left in 30 feet and you are trying to set the blinker to turn, but the lever only will blink if you hold it and when you let go, it quits blinking?

Or is it blinking and after you turn it won't reset itself to the off position and you are having to turn it off manually?

As mentioned above there is the 3 blink quick tap too.

If it's either of the first two things, you may need a need turn switch. I had an ex that liked to hold the turn lever during a turn. She did that one time and I heard a click. The turn lever never held on its own after that. In another car she broke it the opposite way, she held it (again) and this time it popped and you would have to manually turn it off after you turned because it broke. Either way, to fix it required replacing the turn switch and I wasn't going to spend the money on her car because she refused to quit doing that (another reason she's an ex).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its hard to describe, but I think that is it. so if you quick tap it, it will stay on for 30 seconds? I dont think I would ever use it that way, just rather push it to the full lock one way or the other. Just sometimes it seems to get stuck when its in the non right or left turn position, and i look stupid or drunk switching it back and forth trying to get it to shut off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and i will find myself barely tapping it to change lanes, and holding it down until i complete the change...I dont really notice it happening when i do that, so it must just be a sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Once I was at a four lane road all the way on the right. I had to make a left turn so I waited till all the cars went by, and without signaling..went straight to the left lane. Guess who was literally behind me the whole time watching. Anyways, the P.O. was cool and just drove off.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
... Just sometimes it seems to get stuck when its in the non right or left turn position, and i look stupid or drunk switching it back and forth trying to get it to shut off.
Try it while just sitting in the driveway so you can tell what it's doing. While idling you should be able to tap the lever and it will blink 3-5 seconds, I believe it's three blinks and then it turns itself off again. It was made for a quick lane change, so you could tap it quickly and then change lanes and it wouldn't require you to turn it off again. I hated it when I first got the JK but now I like it a lot.

If you push the lever further it will lock into the signal until a large enough turn is made to reset the lever. You should be able to set the turn (say to the right) and after you turn right, the lever should turn itself off again. If it's getting stuck in the blinking position after a turn (test it on a 90 degree right turn), you might have a broken turn lever switch that is allowing it to stay on (see reference of ex holding it down during a turn and breaking it).

Or are you saying it's still blinking even though the turn lever is in the off position?

·
Registered
898 Posts
It sounds like the OP is just going back and forth on the quick lane change option. Needs to do 1 of 2 things...either leave the turn signal alone if you hit it and it will turn off and 3 blinks or get a ProCal and disable that option. I did this same thing once when I first got my Jeep. I hit the turn signal causing it to blink like I was turning left so I tap it up and then I was turning right, pushed it back down...left again. You just have to leave it alone.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yup, lane change assist. Blinks 3 times and stops. Seems like I read somewhere in the manual that you can change this yourself but going through the manual again, I think I must be imagining things.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sure enough, that was it, i see it as an annoyance, but when you look up and see the sky, its all good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts